Can you still get show car exemption for emissions?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Hmmm...

So, looks like all you really need to do get a few pics from the TCG drag strip or Half Mile events and a copy of your registration info. :)

Sporting Activity Vehicle Exemption​

The Illinois Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law of 2005 (625 ILCS 5/13C-15(b)(8)(I)) provides for an exemption from the required vehicle emissions testing requirement if a vehicle is operated exclusively in organized amateur or professional sporting activities, as defined in Section 3.310 of the Environmental Protection Act. If a vehicle meets this requirement, the registered owner may apply for an exemption.
"Organized amateur or professional sporting activity" is defined as an activity or event carried out at a facility by persons who engaged in that activity as a business or for education, charity or entertainment for the general public, including all necessary actions and activities associated with such an activity. This definition includes, but is not limited to:
  • rifle and pistol ranges, licensed shooting preserves, and skeet, trap or shooting sports clubs in existence prior to January 1, 1994,
  • public hunting areas operated by a governmental entity,
  • organized motor sports, and
  • sporting events organized or controlled by school districts, units of local government, state agencies, colleges, universities or professional sports clubs offering exhibitions to the public.
Required Documentation
Along with the completed application, you must include the following:
  1. A current copy of the insurance policy which clearly indicates the
    vehicle is insured as a limited, restricted or exhibition use vehicle.
  2. Documentation supporting that the vehicle is operated exclusively in
    organized amateur or professional sporting activities as defined in
    Section 3.310 of the Environmental Protection Act (415 ILCS 5/3.310).
    Acceptable forms of proof may include but are not limited to:
    • Proof of admission to an organized amateur or professional
      sporting activity or event that took place no more than
      twelve (12) months prior to submittal of the application.
    • A photograph of the vehicle in an exhibition that took place no
      more than twelve (12) months prior to submittal of the application.
    • Current membership to a sports club.
  3. Current photographs of the front, both sides, and rear of the vehicle,
    including the license plate, taken no more than three (3) months prior
    to submittal of the application.
Applying for a Sporting Activity Vehicle Exemption
For faster service, submit your Sporting Activity Vehicle Exemption Application online by clicking here.
*Please do not submit duplicate applications as this will delay us processing your application. *
After printing and completing the pdf, use one (1) of the methods provided below:
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Fax: 312.327.7640
  • Mail: Applus Technologies, Inc., P.O. Box 3266, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137-9998
If you have any questions, please call the Illinois Air Team at: 844.258.9071.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
Hmmm...

So, looks like all you really need to do get a few pics from the TCG drag strip or Half Mile events and a copy of your registration info. :)

Having an insurance policy aka haggerty classic ect that calls out that the vehicle is limited use is the most important part.

Reactions: The Beast

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
1663433576230.gif

Reactions: DanJ

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Just register your car to someone's address outside of the bullshit areas that require emissions. Surely you have to know someone.....
I tried that with a personal mailbox service out in Ottawa IL, but they told me I still had to go through emissions one last time even if I changed my registration to that exempt address.

edit: I'm probably going to try and register out at my mother in laws house in Indiana where there's no testing.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I tried that with a personal mailbox service out in Ottawa IL, but they told me I still had to go through emissions one last time even if I changed my registration to that exempt address.

edit: I'm probably going to try and register out at my mother in laws house in Indiana where there's no testing.

I did Wisconsin, had no issues at all. I'm sure you'll be good with Indiana.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info