Can you still get show car exemption for emissions?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Your post is confusing and is not additive.

It will pass emissions with a supercharger as long as it passes all but one readiness test. We don't have a sniffer test it just verifies vin and readiness tests.
We're all reading it as a BLOWN UP 408ci, based on it sitting in a storage unit since 2017. But maybe you're right, broken clock is right twice a day.

Gustavo621

May 24, 2023
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am stuck in a similar boat. 2004 cobra with 2.3 whipple will not pass. 2 monitors not ready cat and egr, still has both installed. Any tips or info on how to get a waiver? It is a convertible so probably won’t be good at the track. Would transferring it to someone else in my house work at least temporarily? Don’t qualify for a repair waiver since they said it technically did not fail emissions

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am stuck in a similar boat. 2004 cobra with 2.3 whipple will not pass. 2 monitors not ready cat and egr, still has both installed. Any tips or info on how to get a waiver? It is a convertible so probably won’t be good at the track. Would transferring it to someone else in my house work at least temporarily? Don’t qualify for a repair waiver since they said it technically did not fail emissions

Do you know anyone in Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. that would let you register your car to their house? I have mine registered to Wisconsin, and I didn't need to show a utility bill or anything like that.....just needed an address to accept mail so you can retrieve the plate and stickers when they are mailed to you. No emissions testing required, and the yearly fee is actually cheaper than IL's. Make sure you check the county testing requirements though.....

Reactions: Shawn1112

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Do you know anyone in Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. that would let you register your car to their house? I have mine registered to Wisconsin, and I didn't need to show a utility bill or anything like that.....just needed an address to accept mail. No emissions testing required, and the yearly fee is actually cheaper than IL's. Make sure you check the county testing requirements though.....
As said, IL wont let you change registration without emissions. I tried.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

You don't need to change it in IL....you just apply for a Wisconsin title and register it there (or whatever state). I was in the same boat in IL when I made the change....failed emissions and registration was on hold.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Sort of a PITA and will cost some money, but "sell it" to your mom or family member and that should buy you a year.
Then "sell it" back to you in a year and register where you want it

Edit: Ryans plan of attack is better and cheaper

Reactions: Mook

Gustavo621

May 24, 2023
Sort of a PITA and will cost some money, but "sell it" to your mom or family member and that should buy you a year.
Then "sell it" back to you in a year and register where you want it

Edit: Ryans plan of attack is better and cheaper
This is what I was planning to do but was wondering if they would stop be because it failed emissions or because it’s currently registered in my name at the same address as my mom/dad who is the person I would sell it to. I figured I could get at least a year since they give you plates when you initiate the transfer at a currency exchange. Has this worked for anyone? I would love to not go this route but I don’t know anyone in other states :(

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
This is what I was planning to do but was wondering if they would stop be because it failed emissions or because it’s currently registered in my name at the same address as my mom/dad who is the person I would sell it to. I figured I could get at least a year since they give you plates when you initiate the transfer at a currency exchange. Has this worked for anyone? I would love to not go this route but I don’t know anyone in other states :(
I know someone who has done it, albeit it was 4-5 years ago. But it did work when he did it
Also it was a different address that he did it with

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009

If you have cats and EGR on the car, it's gonna come down to the tuning, assuming your doing the drive cycles correct. As for transferring to someone else, its gonna be a heavy hit on just paying tax, better off getting it working and passing. You have to fail multiple times, with repairs, to get a waiver

Gustavo621

May 24, 2023
If you have cats and EGR on the car, it's gonna come down to the tuning, assuming your doing the drive cycles correct. As for transferring to someone else, its gonna be a heavy hit on just paying tax, better off getting it working and passing. You have to fail multiple times, with repairs, to get a waiver
Yeah they won’t qualify me for any waivers because it’s technically not failing, it’s just not ready for those 2 so it doesn’t pass. I’ve talked to my tuner and he said nothing is turned off in the tune and it should pass emissions, just needs to be driven and in certain ways but I’ve tried everything with no luck.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Yeah they won’t qualify me for any waivers because it’s technically not failing, it’s just not ready for those 2 so it doesn’t pass. I’ve talked to my tuner and he said nothing is turned off in the tune and it should pass emissions, just needs to be driven and in certain ways but I’ve tried everything with no luck.

Some cars are very difficult to get the EGR to run, for whatever reason, very common on modded 03/04. Cats won't run till EGR runs. I would reset the system, print out the OBD II drive cycle sheet from Ford and follow what it says for running the monitors. It could be the car just being a pain in the ass, or it could be settings in the tuning causing it not to run.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

It was a MF this time you need collectors insurance I have grundy and pulled out 2 pages out of my policy. Joined SCCA or racing sports membership a yearly sports event. And I believe pictures if I recall.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Do you know anyone in Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. that would let you register your car to their house? I have mine registered to Wisconsin, and I didn't need to show a utility bill or anything like that.....just needed an address to accept mail so you can retrieve the plate and stickers when they are mailed to you. No emissions testing required, and the yearly fee is actually cheaper than IL's. Make sure you check the county testing requirements though.....

Good move if u know someone

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

I also did a little bit of praying cause I didn’t want to deal with a tune and it not turning certain perimeters on for it to pass emissions.

barkingspud

Regular
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Nov 15, 2006
It was a MF this time you need collectors insurance I have grundy and pulled out 2 pages out of my policy. Joined SCCA or racing sports membership a yearly sports event. And I believe pictures if I recall.
My SF Policy clearly states that my car is for "Limited use, car shows and sporting events" but they denied me stating that they want the Endorsements page which I don't have. They make rules with requirements that can't be met. :mad:

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
IMG_6439.jpeg

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info