Can you hang items from your rear view mirror?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Found this for IL:

Cliffs: Guy was pulled over for the sole reason of having something hanging from his mirror. His license was suspended so they searched his car and found drugs. He went to jail and appealed. The law says "Materially obstruct", however the cop had a record of pulling everyone over for absolutely anything hanging from their mirror. The stop was found to be unconstitutional and the conviction was reversed.

Reactions: crooks

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008
Generally, that is not a primary offense, meaning, you can’t be stopped for it solely. That doesn’t mean someone won’t be over zealous and do it anyhow. I’ve been stopped for stupid crap, getting upset won’t help, knowing the law will for sure.

This is wrong.

Depending on the size of the object yes you can be pulled over for it solely. It’s called probable cause to stop. And can also be solely cited for it.

Case law shows the air freshener trees are not “large” enough to obstruct view, so take that for what it’s worth. If you have a larger item hanging, you might be at risk. smaller then you should be good.

You are allowed to however have mounted GPS/phone folders between you and the windshield. Radars fall Into to that category also typically.

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
This is wrong.

Depending on the size of the object yes you can be pulled over for it solely. It’s called probable cause to stop. And can also be solely cited for it.

Case law shows the air freshener trees are not “large” enough to obstruct view, so take that for what it’s worth. If you have a larger item hanging, you might be at risk. smaller then you should be good.

You are allowed to however have mounted GPS/phone folders between you and the windshield. Radars fall Into to that category also typically.

Not sure what is “wrong”, I’m in Ohio, it’s a secondary offense, your state’s laws will probably vary.

Just like we can’t stop someone for texting and driving, unless there is another primary offense, likely, your state laws will vary.

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
Ah ok I assumed you were in Illinois.

Easy to do on the “net”, it’s what I figured, no worries.

I have had that discussion on the side of the road while out of state how I need to abide by their laws..... yeah, I’m passing through, eat a dick. I try hard not to make my employment known if I don’t have to.

But really, there are some dipshits out there that somehow have a badge and a gun. I feel we are lowering standards sometimes to just fill positions.

I can say that I have felt some of the pain others have went through, some weeks are just all Monday’s and full moon’s.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
This is wrong.

you beat me to it.

there is case law on this, and in illinois it's constitutes a valid stop and/or citation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info