• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Can you cut the stock wheel studs?

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
I got the itch to try and fit the set of Prostars I have on the Cobra. Well I've pretty much cleared the tie rod and spindle part. The problem is with the wheel spacer I have, the rim will not sit up against the hub. The stock wheel studs stick out past the spacer and don't allow the back of the rim to sit flush against the hub. So my question is.... Is it possible to shave/grind down a 1/4 inch off the wheel studs. It's the part where there is no thread on it. If I were to take it down to the fist outside thread it would sit flush with the spacer. Would this be safe?

Lugshave.jpg

superman

COME & SEE
May 9, 2006
:D iam back and ready to stay right with you again!!!! and to are buddy mark i know hes reading this but cant post because hes at work and doesnt n
know code:lmao: mark you know your my boy but i will put a world of hurt on you and that thing you call a car....... btw iam still going to talk to my lawyer about those killer mosquites u have that attacked me in ur yard...... so when ever you 2 are not coming up with excueses tires, clutch, rear end blah blah blah and want to put money up call me...... and chris you need to beat those marks in fron of my house that is if you can.......:p

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I don't see why you can't cut them, but I know it won't be pretty, that and you may never be able to get those spacers off later in the future if you choose to do so; well, at least without destroying them, that is.

I can almost guarantee that you will rub on the fenders with the tires with spacers that big. I had H&R 1" spacers with AFS 10.5" 03 style wheel and Nitto 315's, and I rubbed on the fender a lot. Just a thought.

-Mike

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
:D iam back and ready to stay right with you again!!!! and to are buddy mark i know hes reading this but cant post because hes at work and doesnt n
know code:lmao: mark you know your my boy but i will put a world of hurt on you and that thing you call a car....... btw iam still going to talk to my lawyer about those killer mosquites u have that attacked me in ur yard...... so when ever you 2 are not coming up with excueses tires, clutch, rear end blah blah blah and want to put money up call me...... and chris you need to beat those marks in fron of my house that is if you can.......:p

That reminds me I have that picture.......

I don't see why you can't cut them, but I know it won't be pretty, that and you may never be able to get those spacers off later in the future if you choose to do so; well, at least without destroying them, that is.

I can almost guarantee that you will rub on the fenders with the tires with spacers that big. I had H&R 1" spacers with AFS 10.5" 03 style wheel and Nitto 315's, and I rubbed on the fender a lot. Just a thought.

-Mike

Mike, The studs could be cut all the way down the the open nut. A deep thin wall socket will fit all the way over the nut into the spacer. I have run 275 m/t's and haven't had any issues with the fenders rubbing. I don't think the slicks are all to thick. But every car is different.

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
When Hans installed Slash's IRS in my car it had the hi performance ARP 3 inch studs already installed. Well I hated how far they stuck out. Hans trimmed them down to the stock length instead of putting in new ones.

Long story short, I think most of the part you want to cut off is just the "easy" to start part of the stud. I dont have those on mine and the lugs start just fine. I also dont think losing one thread will hurt anything.

However if you use a spacer with your "normal" wheels that may be cutting it close.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006

LOL My lawyer said you have no case on the Killer Mosquitos not my fault. LOL. And Like I already told YOU A MILLION times Monday is when we go for cash so stop trying to rush so you can loose your money to me :cool2:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info