Can Someone Please Help Me Understand Wheel ET Measurements?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Now that I've got the suspension more or less sorted on my BMW, Ive been on the search for some new wheels, and I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out what specs will best match my new setup. It's further not aided by the fact that I'm quite picky on what I'm actually looking for, and I'm also not looking to spend thousands of dollars on the wheels alone for a car that's daily driven and in all likelihood I WILL curb one at some point :LOL:

I understand as much that ET is basically the measurement from where the wheel mounts on the hub face to the center of the wheel. And a lower ET is what creates more "poke" and makes the wheel sit farther towards the fender. But then you also have to factor in wider wheels, which will also have an effect and that's where my brain starts shorting out.

For reference, the stock wheels that are on my car are kinda funky dimensions. Fronts are 18x7.5 ET 45, and the rears are 18x8.0 ET52. After my suspension went on I threw spacers on them and put 12mm in front and 15mm in rear. Since spacers essentinally lower the ET on wheels, so that means my front wheels are now more like an ET 33, and the rears are ET 37. And I like the results. I feel the fronts still have a little bit of wiggle room, but I don't want to push it too much, and the rears about perfect.

Ba2O2Qe.jpg

cdhONZ8.jpg

Now when most people upgrade wheels on these cars, they normally go w/ an 8.5" wide wheel in front and 9.5" wheel in the rear (still sticking w/ 18") so that's where I start getting lost trying to factor in what sort of ET I should be shooting for. Again I'm not looking to go crazy trying to fit the widest tire I can on it cuz again, daily driver. Front tires are 225/40 and rears are 245/35, and at most id probably be looking to put a 255/35 on the rear, especially if i went up w/ a 9.5" wheel.

I know there's dozens of wheel calculators out there but I haven't found one yet that can actually tell me what the hell I'm looking at :LOL: so if anyone has a good one they use please post it up.

Help me stop overthinking this TCG!

Reactions: Rico

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
This is the easiest one I've used without getting too technical and gives a relatively accurate representation. I put in the stock dimensions as a baseline and go from there.

I spent hours trying to figure out wheels for my RS3 and honestly it is easier looking at options of wheel styles and what specs are available rather than finding specs and going on a search

As you mentioned you can always mess with spacers, so unless you are going with a custom set of like BC Forged, I'd suggest looking at forums/pages with examples already out there

You'll probably find you only have so many options and then will have to go with what is closest.

I know what you mean about dimensions, my old 18x9.5 ET 45s have the same poke within a couple MM as the new ones at 18x8.5 ET35, but then you gotta make sure you don't hit the strut inboard

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I spent hours trying to figure out wheels for my RS3 and honestly it is easier looking at options of wheel styles and what specs are available rather than finding specs and going on a search

Yeah I have a couple options I've been considering, and it's just trying to figure out the best specs available within those option to work with. It's not helped that I'm looking for something in a bronze color range, and that REALLY limits your options. I may have to start considering just picking up a "normal" color now, and trying to find a powder coating place out here to bring them too later.

The tires on my current wheels are on borrowed time now and I REALLY don't want to have to get new tires for these, and then turn around and buy brand new wheels/tires.

Reactions: The Broken Regal

Rico

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Nov 25, 2020

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I've made my mind up. Going with the Arc-8's from Apex, for a couple reasons. 1. I just really like this wheel, and 2. I can order the wheels/tires/tire pressure sensors from them and they will mount and balance everything before they even ship, so it will arrive at my door complete and ready to throw on the car (tho I do need to shop for some type of wheel coating as well so I can take care of that BEFORE they go on my car). Been emailing with Apex and it sounds like their recommended 18x8.5 ET 38 fronts and 18x9.5 ET 58 rears w/ 225/40 and 255/35 tires should fit well with my setup, but they did recommend a 5mm spacer for the fronts because w/ my KW suspension they said it may sit a bit too close to the struts.

Unfortunately while the 18x8.5's do come w/ a matte bronze option, the 18x9.5's do not.... So I'll just look for powdercoating options down the line. So now the real question is

Anthracite (basically the same color as my stock rims now)

958003_x800.webp

Or Hyper Black (basically silver face with black barrels)

957630_x800.webp

:unsure: I feel like the anthracite is the "safe" choice, but the silver face on the hyper black wheels would add a nice contrast, and I think would go well w/ my cars color as well. Tho with my brake dust they'd probably only look nice until I got to the end of my street, again making the anthracite the safer option, as the brake dust would blend in more on those.

Hmm.

Reactions: Rico

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I'm not a huge fan, if I'm being honest. I'm pretty sure you've showed me these before. I really dont like them on any of your examples, especially the e36...but that could be b/c there is A LOT of tire.

I just feel like they dont match a BMW. If that makes sense. But as you know, I'm very very picky about such things.

Reactions: Rico and Turk

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
225/40/18 will be a little stretched on an 18x8.5. I went to a 235...40/18 and they fit much better. Speedo will be off less than a mph typically.

I keep going back and forth on that as well but thats also what Apex recommended and I know it's been done. Plus I'm going w/ pilot sport 4s tires and those tend to have a seemingly wider profile than most tires

I'm not a huge fan, if I'm being honest. I'm pretty sure you've showed me these before. I really dont like them on any of your examples, especially the e36...but that could be b/c there is A LOT of tire.

I just feel like they dont match a BMW. If that makes sense. But as you know, I'm very very picky about such things.

I never expect you like any wheel that I show you. :LOL: And as for the style, they're basically a straight ripoff of the E46 M3 CSL wheels, so I feel like they have a place on a bmw

bmw-m3-csl-stage-xl.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I keep going back and forth on that as well but thats also what Apex recommended and I know it's been done. Plus I'm going w/ pilot sport 4s tires and those tend to have a seemingly wider profile than most tires

I never expect you like any wheel that I show you. :LOL: And as for the style, they're basically a straight ripoff of the E46 M3 CSL wheels, so I feel like they have a place on a bmw

bmw-m3-csl-stage-xl.jpg
Like I said, its probably the cars. Looks great on that. And looks good on the e92, but thats partly b/c of the concave.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info