Can of worms thread of the day: who makes the best diesel pickup

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
TL;DR trukz are cool

I'm somewhat biased because I'm on my second one, but, 6.7 Alumiduty for me personally. I plan to upgrade to one from my current 6.7 early next year.

First of all, why do you need an F-450? I probably do the most "heavy hauling" and regular trailering out of most people I know, and I get by without issue with a SRW F-350 with air bags in the rear. If you want a dually, by all means go for it but 450’s ride like haywagons and get shit mileage. If you’re not towing excessive shit regularly I wouldn’t bother.

66779150_10157758518324589_1389366463638274048_n.jpg

The trailer I'm towing weighs 8,700# empty, truck is easily another 7,000#. Front is actually about an inch higher than the rear in this picture with 30#'s in the bags.

Secondly, they all have their plusses and minuses

RAM- Cummins engines just work. They're reliable, use tried and true tech and really don't have many common issues. However, when you try and make decent power on the 6.7's you will run into head gasket issues. Simple solution, ARP studs and you're done. They still run CP3 injection pumps which don't have the horror stories associated with CP4's like the Dmax and 6.7 Powerstroke run. Overall I think the Ram is a good chassis, solid axle front, ride like a "truck", no real complaints there. 68RFE transmission is a different story. They are getting BETTER, but not refined yet by any means. Tuners are still trying to figure out the best parameters for them and rebuilders are finally getting a grasp on what makes them live. Expect a built 68 to cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,500 if you're planning on making any real power.

Chevy/GMC- I don't have a ton of experience with Duramax engines, but have a ton with GM HD trucks. What I do know of the L5P is they are good engines overall, I was hearing some horror stories early on but haven't lately. Biggest downfalls to me with them is they are just so new you're kind of along for the ride figuring out all the little shortfalls of them in years to come. Deletes and tuning are ungodly expensive, still running $4,000+ for the whole package. Runs an updated CP4 style injection pump, while they're better than they were at first, there still is that risk of a complete system contamination from a pump that comes apart. $8,000 ish job depending on where you go. Allison transmissions are good, do what they need to do and don't have many headaches if you're not a complete asshole driving everywhere you go. Never had any complaints with the chassis aside from IFS if you're using it for plowing, even still not bad, just don't take the weight of heavy ass plows all that well compared to the others. They ride the best out of all of them hands down.

Ford- I personally love the 6.7 PSD's. I've got about 150,000 miles of pretty strenuous use between the two that I've had and have never even seen a CEL come up on my trucks. They've been around relatively unchaged since 2011 and have proven themselves to be very reliable. Yes, there are horror stories like anything else, but compared to the last two engines Ford pushed out, they're angelic lol. They also suffer from the CP4 pump failures, but less than the duramax trucks IMO, which I believe comes down to the fact that Ford installs an in-line fuel pump while Duramax trucks rely solely on the CP4 to suck fuel through the system and then pressurize it to rail pressure. They make great power stock or tuned. The 6R transmissions are great, I personally favor them over the Allisons. My truck gets the absolute shit beat out of it daily driving pretty much maxxing out stock air and fuel systems, and tows 15000#'s plus regularly. Currently sitting at 170,000 miles stock trans and factory sealed engine. I also think that Ford makes the best chassis, that's simply opinion but having owned a newer RAM and newer fords, they just seem more solid to me.

Hope this helps lol.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
TL;DR trukz are cool

I'm somewhat biased because I'm on my second one, but, 6.7 Alumiduty for me personally. I plan to upgrade to one from my current 6.7 early next year.

First of all, why do you need an F-450? I probably do the most "heavy hauling" and regular trailering out of most people I know, and I get by without issue with a SRW F-350 with air bags in the rear. If you want a dually, by all means go for it but 450’s ride like haywagons and get shit mileage. If you’re not towing excessive shit regularly I wouldn’t bother.

The trailer I'm towing weighs 8,700# empty, truck is easily another 7,000#. Front is actually about an inch higher than the rear in this picture with 30#'s in the bags.

RAM- Cummins engines just work. They're reliable, use tried and true tech and really don't have many common issues. However, when you try and make decent power on the 6.7's you will run into head gasket issues. Simple solution, ARP studs and you're done. They still run CP3 injection pumps which don't have the horror stories associated with CP4's like the Dmax and 6.7 Powerstroke run. Overall I think the Ram is a good chassis, solid axle front, ride like a "truck", no real complaints there. 68RFE transmission is a different story. They are getting BETTER, but not refined yet by any means. Tuners are still trying to figure out the best parameters for them and rebuilders are finally getting a grasp on what makes them live. Expect a built 68 to cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,500 if you're planning on making any real power.

Chevy/GMC- I don't have a ton of experience with Duramax engines, but have a ton with GM HD trucks. What I do know of the L5P is they are good engines overall, I was hearing some horror stories early on but haven't lately. Biggest downfalls to me with them is they are just so new you're kind of along for the ride figuring out all the little shortfalls of them in years to come. Deletes and tuning are ungodly expensive, still running $4,000+ for the whole package. Runs an updated CP4 style injection pump, while they're better than they were at first, there still is that risk of a complete system contamination from a pump that comes apart. $8,000 ish job depending on where you go. Allison transmissions are good, do what they need to do and don't have many headaches if you're not a complete asshole driving everywhere you go. Never had any complaints with the chassis aside from IFS if you're using it for plowing, even still not bad, just don't take the weight of heavy ass plows all that well compared to the others. They ride the best out of all of them hands down.

Ford- I personally love the 6.7 PSD's. I've got about 150,000 miles of pretty strenuous use between the two that I've had and have never even seen a CEL come up on my trucks. They've been around relatively unchaged since 2011 and have proven themselves to be very reliable. Yes, there are horror stories like anything else, but compared to the last two engines Ford pushed out, they're angelic lol. They also suffer from the CP4 pump failures, but less than the duramax trucks IMO, which I believe comes down to the fact that Ford installs an in-line fuel pump while Duramax trucks rely solely on the CP4 to suck fuel through the system and then pressurize it to rail pressure. They make great power stock or tuned. The 6R transmissions are great, I personally favor them over the Allisons. My truck gets the absolute shit beat out of it daily driving pretty much maxxing out stock air and fuel systems, and tows 15000#'s plus regularly. Currently sitting at 170,000 miles stock trans and factory sealed engine. I also think that Ford makes the best chassis, that's simply opinion but having owned a newer RAM and newer fords, they just seem more solid to me.

Hope this helps lol.

Personally I would have liked it if you explained yourself a little better.... ha. Good write up. I personally am biased with my 18’ Cummins, love everything about the truck besides the manual flip tow mirrors.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’m a fan. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a leftover ‘17 Laramie sport appearance package. It was everything I wanted except it was a short bed. Decided I couldn’t live with that lol. Personally I’m not a huge fan of their interior build quality, but it’s on par with GM and slightly behind Ford. None of them are really up to par for $65,000+ vehicles IMO. I like the interior design and ergonomics of them, just some of the knobs and buttons felt cheap and loose to me.

dom418

Regular
Dec 2, 2008
TL;DR trukz are cool

Hope this helps lol.

Fantastic write up thanks man, that helps a lot

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
I won’t be as helpful as outlaw, but I do own an 07 LBZ that has been great to me. I tow 13-14,000 consistently and it does great. It’s been tuned for about 75,000 on the stock Allison and I’ve had no problems what so ever. A few months back I started looking into a 15-16LML or L5P. The CP4 issue really concerns me on the LML and they seem to still be chasing gremlins on the L5P. Needless to say, I plan to stick with my LBZ for a while. My buddy has a 2012 F350 6.7 that we used to tow an enclosed trailer with quads in it down to Tennessee. Although a light load for a 1 ton, it did great through the mountains. Tons of power, trans felt great. There was something loose in the steering which was annoying, but overall a nice truck. I don’t care for the look of the 11-16’s, but 17+ are nice. I don’t know much about the Cummins aside from my coworkers stock 2014 needing a turbo. Luckily it was still under warranty. Might have been an isolated incident. He just had the trans built because he wants to tune it but fears it might let loose. Not sure if any of this is helpful!!!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I furiously refresh Ford's website every day hoping the 2020 configurator is live just to build this and be disappointed at the price.

7.3 gasser here I come

buss ford has new 6.7 xlt stx ccsb 4wd f250s listed for under 50k on their site.

looks like you gotta pay almost 60 to get leather though from a quick look.

edit... i realize my comment wasn't too in line with what you were saying but i dunnnno if i care.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
buss ford has new 6.7 xlt stx ccsb 4wd f250s listed for under 50k on their site.

looks like you gotta pay almost 60 to get leather though from a quick look.

edit... i realize my comment wasn't too in line with what you were saying but i dunnnno if i care.

Depending on incentives you can dip into Lariat territory for $55ish. I want a used 2018-19 Lariat and I’ll put the much better looking 2020 grille and headlights in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info