Camping Trailers/RV's/Etc?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If you are going to leave the camper at a permanent site just send it with your current truck. I tow alot with my 240K 04 Tahoe and also worry about how much longer the trans would last but the cost to "upgrade" to something newer with even the same towing capacity is absolutely insane now days.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
THIS!! I think there is some sort of rating related to the square footage of the face of the trailer. You don’t ever hear anyone talk about it though.

of course now i can't find it

well.

kinda. but granted, this is ancient... from the 2002 ford towing guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2002_All.pdf

4yYC4wn.png

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
i should have worded that better.

like if you're pulling a barn but it only weighs 700lbs, the aero takes a fuck ton more into account than the weight. and weight is negligible

not that it doesn't count.

Example for me is when I grabbed my trailer from Carbondale. I left the canopy on, HUGE mistake because it really didn't weigh that much but truck worked so hard to pull it because it was like a fucking barn....

Data plate says 1,340 lbs

CQSLf7Z.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Example for me is when I grabbed my trailer from Carbondale. I left the canopy on, HUGE mistake because it really didn't weigh that much but truck worked so hard to pull it because it was like a fucking barn....

Data plate says 1,340 lbs

CQSLf7Z.jpg

exactly.

towing my sxs back from TN when i got it- no windshield, no roof on it, i got HORSESHIT mpg once i got around champaign or so... going into a head wind.

towing my boat- which my boat is super easy to tow- it's really close to the ass of my truck and i'd like to think somewhat aerodynamic- thing pulls like a dream, even though it's likely 8k-9k? ish trailer weight if not more.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
If you are going to leave the camper at a permanent site just send it with your current truck. I tow alot with my 240K 04 Tahoe and also worry about how much longer the trans would last but the cost to "upgrade" to something newer with even the same towing capacity is absolutely insane now days.

If you're just toting to a permanent spot, and are worried about your truck, just rent a truck for the day :dunno:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But the specific aerodynamics of the truck would negate at least some of the front area of the trailer. For instance, an open bed would create a different aerodynamic profile as one with a hard tonneau, as one with a cap

but then it goes even further than that because for instance- my formula is like 6-8 feet behind my truck.

pooontoon is like 12'.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info