Campground recommendations?

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
I’m finally getting the camper de-winterized for the season. We would like to take it out the weekend of June 26-28. Hoping to stay semi local to northern Illinois. The places we usually go for local weekend trips are closed. Are there any open campgrounds you guys recommend? I’d also be willing to go over the border into WI for a nice place. Needs to accommodate a 33’ fifth wheel with 2 slides. (Preferably full hookups.) Thanks

Reactions: Eagle

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
When I was younger I used to camp pretty much every weekend. Everywhere within 3 hours or so. I wouldn't want to recommend anything as they probably changed alot. But If you want something close and cheap look into Thomas Woods in Marango. Nice sites and scenery. Quiet for the most part. Only downsides they only have a few electric sites and no public showers. But if you have a RV not really an issue?

Reactions: LikeABauce302

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
My parents had a camper when I was a kid. The Jellystone campgrounds were always really nice. The one is Wisconsin Dells is great.

If you don't mind a bit longer of a drive, Timber Ridge in Traverse City, Michigan is super nice. It used to be a Jellystone probably 15+ years ago. The new owners kept all of the amenities and improved on them. Nice and secluded area, really nice pool, mini golf, beautiful hiking trails, and activities for kids. It's a short drive from the beach and downtown Traverse City. My parents still go up there a couple times a year. They also have nice cabins if you want to get away but don't feel like hauling the trailer on such a long drive.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
When I was younger I used to camp pretty much every weekend. Everywhere within 3 hours or so. I wouldn't want to recommend anything as they probably changed alot. But If you want something close and cheap look into Thomas Woods in Marango. Nice sites and scenery. Quiet for the most part. Only downsides they only have a few electric sites and no public showers. But if you have a RV not really an issue?

I’ll have to check this out. Sounds like a nice weekend trip.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
My parents had a camper when I was a kid. The Jellystone campgrounds were always really nice. The one is Wisconsin Dells is great.

If you don't mind a bit longer of a drive, Timber Ridge in Traverse City, Michigan is super nice. It used to be a Jellystone probably 15+ years ago. The new owners kept all of the amenities and improved on them. Nice and secluded area, really nice pool, mini golf, beautiful hiking trails, and activities for kids. It's a short drive from the beach and downtown Traverse City. My parents still go up there a couple times a year. They also have nice cabins if you want to get away but don't feel like hauling the trailer on such a long drive.
I’ve heard great things about the Traverse city area. I’ll have to add Timber Ridge to my list. Thanks

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
We just met up with friends at cliffside in Racine last weekend (we were staying at Jellystone Caledonia) $30 a night self register. Water and electric hookups. Some big 5yh wheels and motorhomes didn't appear to have an issue on their sites. My buddies 34' bumper pull fit fine and plenty of room in the site. It's on our list. But I didn't see a beach and it's a Racine county park so no pool

Reactions: taws697

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I got a spot up in Riverbend, in Watertown, WI. It's a really nice campground w/restaurant, tiki bar, water park, ponds for fishing, allows golf carts, etc. It's not easy to get for a seasonal spot, but they do have rental sites as well to try it out for a weekend if you want to check it out:

Reactions: taws697
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info