Camaro M6 options

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
So, after doing some soul searching, I've realized that a T56 swap is probably out of the budget for my 3800 Camaro.

There is another option out there, the Aisin AY6 from the 2010 V6 Camaro. It holds more power than my ratcheting T5 could, and locally they go for about $600 with low miles.

I don't know if they have a removable bellhousing though. I can only find stock images, so I also don't know if the bellhousing has a provision for a starter motor. Worst case I would have to make another adapter (like I did for my 3800 truck), and machine and weld a bump into the bellhousing, but how does one measure for a custom clutch? Does anybody know if the high-feature bellhousing bolt pattern is online anywhere? If I had to get a machine shop to measure the bolt pattern it would set me back, but overall the cost would still be less than just getting a T56.

The other provision I have to worry about is the driveshaft and shifter, but I'm sure those won't be rocket science. I figure, if the TR-6060 can be swapped into a 4th gen, no reason I can't find a way to get the AY6 in, even if I have to push the 3800 a few inches forward in the engine bay.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
LS1 cars are available for $600?

You don't think the only cost incurred is the price of the transmission do you? Plus you could sell the old car once you get the new car making the difference potentially less than doing a custom swap.

I beleive that trans is junk as well

And also junk :rofl:

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
What is junk about the AY6? That it can't handle LS power? If it works equal to or better than a T5, then what does it matter? Especially considering 3800 power levels. It's rated for 345ft-lbs. The most I would consider doing to this motor is swap it for a basic 3.4 pulley L67, but even that shouldn't break the 345ft-lbs level, and it would be in a car that's between 500-1000lbs less than it's other applications.

LS cars out here are going for $12-$18k. Anything in the $8-$12k range is a rust bucket, anything less than $8k is a parts car, because the T56/LS1 combo is apparently super special. Mine is rust free from Georgia, so why the hell would I bother with a rotted out LS car? Tax time is about to hit, so I see that number going up again. A 3800 Camaro goes for $4k at best.

And yes, I have a pretty good idea what something like this costs. I can't even touch a used T56 for the investment I would have into the project, let alone all the adapters and other custom modifications I would have to do for it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sorry, was trying to apply your logic in my reply and it went as expected. 10/10 :rofl:

HAHAHAH THANKS
YOU DID SO WELL

or perhaps I meant this dude SWINGS from 3800s on here harder than pretty much anyone... he put one in an 80s truck, he frankensteins projects like this frequently... that's what i meant by what i said :rofl:

but yeah, thanks for being mature about it :rofl:

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
HAHAHAH THANKS
YOU DID SO WELL

or perhaps I meant this dude SWINGS from 3800s on here harder than pretty much anyone... he put one in an 80s truck, he frankensteins projects like this frequently... that's what i meant by what i said :rofl:

but yeah, thanks for being mature about it :rofl:
Dat all caps doe!!
775.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info