Camaro M6 options

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
umm. I have 2 friends who bought a $400 5.3 from our LKQ junk yard and got a $500 used intake and then had a custom cam done and valvesprings ordered for another $700. Then fabbed their own turbo system with ebay intercooler and a used turbo which totalled under $1,500 and some sort of used injectors and like 2 wallburrow 255 pumps they got for $100 ect. and the car went fucking mid 9's at byron. seriously there was like $4,000 in this build starting with a bolt on 99 z28 on drag radials that the motor was blown to begin with. if you want to go super budget you can. if you want 1,500hp well then your in a whole nother level and better have deep pockets.

I fail to see how any of that is relevant here. I'm not building a racecar.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
'Budget' and 'LS' don't exactly go together in the same sentence though.

If I wanted to make decent power I'd plop a HY35 or something on an L67. And that still costs less than rebuilding a LS motor. But that's not what I'm after anyway.

As far as context, it's in a 3800 subsection of the forum to begin with, and somebody else instantly jumped on the LS1/T56 car bandwagon.

It makes sense that you would post a 3800 question in the 3800 sub forum. In terms of context I meant end goal of the build 600 horse track monster, 400 Frankenstein daily, etc....

I don’t know what qualifies as a more budget friendly platform than the LSx one. They are so readily available and the aftermarket for them is huge.

Bad00ss

Rockford's Slow Junk
Apr 15, 2006
I fail to see how any of that is relevant here. I'm not building a racecar.

He drove it to work every day. full interior. street car. daily driver. You said LS isnt budget. it obviously is. you can make HUGE HP for dirt cheap. this was my example.

All I'm saying is you were incorrect. It is actually one of the easiest platforms to get big horsepower for cheap.

Bad00ss

Rockford's Slow Junk
Apr 15, 2006
Back on track here. if you want to build the car you already have, the 3800. fine. But T-56 transmissions cost more than a whole LS engine which is ridiculous to me. it sucks. It's not hard to spend $2,000 on a used T56 and a nice clutch for it. It will be 100x better than the T-5 if you make any sort of power.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
umm. I have 2 friends who bought a $400 5.3 from our LKQ junk yard and got a $500 used intake and then had a custom cam done and valvesprings ordered for another $700. Then fabbed their own turbo system with ebay intercooler and a used turbo which totalled under $1,500 and some sort of used injectors and like 2 wallburrow 255 pumps they got for $100 ect. and the car went fucking mid 9's at byron. seriously there was like $4,000 in this build starting with a bolt on 99 z28 on drag radials that the motor was blown to begin with. if you want to go super budget you can. if you want 1,500hp well then your in a whole nother level and better have deep pockets.
And then he still has a t5 that he wants to replace

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
If I wanted an LS car, I'd have one already. I mean, fuck, I have an AWD V8 STS that will walk an LS camaro from a dig all day long, and I paid less for the STS than a T56 used and abused would cost me :rofl:

LS and/or T56 have nothing to do with this discussion, aside from the fact that the T56 is so overpriced that it actually makes sense to go to the trouble and cost to adapt some other 6-speed to a 3800.

Building up a motor and trans to be fast have nothing to do with the discussion.

Technical or enabling information on the TR-3160 or AY6 was the original point of the discussion.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Bought it in Michigan. it was like a 4 hour drive but he jumped on it the day it was posted on an Fbody facebook group. My other buddy paid $4,200 for his z28 and it was already modded with long tubes, exhaust, gear, new clutch.

This! They are out there and can be had for cheap if you know where to look making this a much more worth while than a swap if your goal is to have a manual.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info