Cam question

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
You are bound to get fairly biased answers, as most everyone will tend to prefer what they personally have. Your best bet would be to hear from someone who has had a variety of cams installed in their car at any given point. With that being said...

I'm running the XP and have no complaints. I still have a fairly mild setup at the moment ( xp, pacesetters, 3.3), but the car moves pretty good for what it is. I still have more low end power than I know what to do with. And the top end is significantly improved over both stock and 1.9 rockers. Oh yeah... the idle isn't so bad either.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa49/1998gpgt/?action=view&current=MVI_0359.flv

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Xp or S1X, i love both, 51% s1x 49% xp.

I run the xp of course, figures, but i would recommend either, they're awesome cams. My xp with a couple other changes is a huge step between rockers, not fun under 50mph due to traction issues, it's FWD can't complain. I personally would run 130's with a double roller on the xp due to it's low valve to piston clearance (per PRJ's suggestions :nutz:) which is what i run. Makes for a reliable setup IMO, also rules out ever having valve float. My idle sounds stock so no video to post with that. I have a 30-almost-80 vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8P2R285Cw

un-tuned at the time of video, it's slow but could probably beat some single cam civics :dunno:

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I wish I did a cam. When I first jumped into the Grand Prix game I didnt know you could only do one or the other. I ended up ordering the 1.8 Rockers first and then found out. I was heart broken. I really wanted that idle. Anyways I say get the most aggressive one..

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Haha, well 3800's are a far cry to a Camaro, the N.I.C. sounds pretty cool but offers nothing special among the other cams listed in this thread. Only vendor sponsored cars go "fast" which is only 12.3 IIRC, where as many have gone 11's on s1x/xp without :nutz: zzp

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

I run the xp of course, figures, but i would recommend either, they're awesome cams. My xp with a couple other changes is a huge step between rockers, not fun under 50mph due to traction issues, it's FWD can't complain. I personally would run 130's with a double roller on the xp due to it's low valve to piston clearance (per PRJ's suggestions :nutz:) which is what i run. Makes for a reliable setup IMO, also rules out ever having valve float. My idle sounds stock so no video to post with that. I have a 30-almost-80 vid...

un-tuned at the time of video, it's slow but could probably beat some single cam civics :dunno:

looks slow :ford:

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
I am assuming that is the XP hot cam. That sounds really good and the power gains are pretty good on stock heads from what I hear. Are you running an I/C with that setup or just the cam? What else did you have to do with that setup? 105# springs?

Correct.

An IC is not currently on there, but one will be soon...

I'm running LS6 springs,viton valve seals, and modded retainers, along with a new stock timing chain and dampener.

Slow my ass, are you running the XPZ or XP Hot cam on your setup? Did you need to machine the guides when installing either one of these?

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Slow my ass, are you running the XPZ or XP Hot cam on your setup? Did you need to machine the guides when installing either one of these?

xpz needs machined guides, but xp as you said in the above post, just needs modded retainers. I actually run titanium retainers on my car, which are the shit, same thickness as modded retainers. Also i am running the almighty xp :smile:

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It is, 2 hundred thousand things that WERE wrong with it post the "fix" which i spent like 6 weeks re-fixing but it's running. Needs new plugs, o2, and some other shit before i can actually get it going the way i want, but it's on the way. I've been driving it for 2 weeks now while the other car gets new plugs and intake gaskets. Fun so far

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I was low on brake fluid so when i get on it the light comes on along with the coolant light, and the abs light was on b/c i left the traction control active when i got on it and it was super confused going 30mph but the tire were spinning at 50 :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info