Cam break in questions/concerns

Shibby50

Reaction score
Well it's finally getting close to that time.
Cam will be ordered soon and I've had something bothering me for a while.

On the last few car's I've helped build/cam we always did break in time that was strongly recommended by the manufacturer (usually 200-400) miles, before beating on the car.
I was just wondering how necessary it really is? I always see people sending their cars to local speed shops to have a cam put in then the car is immediately beat on when put on the dyno to be tuned. WOT runs and all.
Now I know you can't really just break a cam by beating on it before that given time, but is it even necessary at all?
I know not to beat on the car before it being tuned, but I'd rather just take it straight to a tuner after install if there's no need for it.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
talking for your t/a?

dont worry about break it. you have roller lifters. coat the camshaft with pleanty of moly lube, change the oil after about 500 miles of use, and enjoy.

79vette

Wrenching
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
yea roller lifters do not need any break in. in fact I have built solid roller motors that got there first miles driven down a drag strip going balls to the wall.

OP
Shibby50

Shibby50

Reaction score
That's kinda what I figured, but I like hearing it from people who know what they're talking about rather than just guessing myself lol.
Cam time I guess

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Reaction score
Just seat the rings. Let her warm up first obv then drive it and get it nice and hot. put it in third and floor it bring it up in the RPM's and let it coast down the rpm range.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom