Calling the Bicycle Crew, ilikeBobKazamakis99999 step inside

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I recently moved to West Dundee and discovered the hidden gem of Raceway Woods. I've been walking the main trail a lot and after seeing all the CAMBR trails and mtn bikes around I have the itch to get a new bike. I always road hard tails and bought Novara's from REI. The 2 I had always treated me right but looks like they rebranded their house bikes to CO-OP. I also used to like Haro's when I road BMX so I started looked there as well.

Anyways this is what I found. Looking for opinions. My criteria is a decent hard tail that won't break the bank (under $1K, ideally around $500). And go.

1663342227252.png

1663342342641.png

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Raceway woods was just starting to get good when I lived out there, I’ve seen it’s grown quite a bit.

I think you should spend more honestly. You’ll have more fun for sure. Both of those bikes have front derailleurs and mediocre suspension forks.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Raceway woods was just starting to get good when I lived out there, I’ve seen it’s grown quite a bit.

I think you should spend more honestly. You’ll have more fun for sure. Both of those bikes have front derailleurs and mediocre suspension forks.
I didn't even notice. Are front derailleurs on the way out?

How about the Marlin 6?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I almost want to see if people sell their shit in the winter time at lower prices. I have no shame buying used but everything I’ve seen is either Walmart shit for more than it is at Walmart, or bikes with loads of miles but seem to be worth what they were new.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I didn't even notice. Are front derailleurs on the way out?

How about the Marlin 6?
1x12 is the hot setup. There’s a Shimano deore 1x10 that’s good too.

Reactions: Lead Pipe

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I recently moved to West Dundee and discovered the hidden gem of Raceway Woods. I've been walking the main trail a lot and after seeing all the CAMBR trails and mtn bikes around I have the itch to get a new bike. I always road hard tails and bought Novara's from REI. The 2 I had always treated me right but looks like they rebranded their house bikes to CO-OP. I also used to like Haro's when I road BMX so I started looked there as well.

Anyways this is what I found. Looking for opinions. My criteria is a decent hard tail that won't break the bank (under $1K, ideally around $500). And go.

View attachment 132467

View attachment 132468

Bob Kazamakis Bob Kazamakis is the expert, but owning a 2022 Trek Dual Sport, I’d have to say the quality does not live up to the name hype.

Go with what he says even if you pay a bit more as you “buy once, cry once” and are then set for many years of enjoyment.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Bob Kazamakis Bob Kazamakis is the expert, but owning a 2022 Trek Dual Sport, I’d have to say the quality does not live up to the name hype.

Go with what he says even if you pay a bit more as you “buy once, cry once” and are then set for many years of enjoyment.
OOC, what don't you like about the Dual Sport? I have an 2015 7.3 FX and its been solid. Doesn't see any trail riding though, just paved path and crushed limestone.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
OOC, what don't you like about the Dual Sport? I have an 2015 7.3 FX and its been solid. Doesn't see any trail riding though, just paved path and crushed limestone.

Cheap feel / not solid, as if I feel like I bought a Hyundai Elantra instead of a BMW 3 series.

Not as quick as anticipated, already needs to be gone through and I bought it early this summer (example - chain / derailed rubbing).

Personal - seat / grips are not ideal.

I came from riding an average GIANT road bike, which surprising felt more sturdy / decent quality.

Again, one cannot go wrong with following Bob Kazamakis Bob Kazamakis guidance on these.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
That’s kind of how the marlin is vs the roscoe. Roscoe is the better cheap hardtail even if it’s more money.

Lead Pipe Lead Pipe you used to love bikes and I’m going to guess you can afford more so get something you’ll actually really love to ride vs be kinda over it because of cheapness.

Commencal Meta HT is a good buy, the Roscoe (9 is worth it over the 8), Marin El Roy. I’ll keep looking when I have more time. O

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yours not wrong about the dual sport, it’s a master of none. FX is a sportier bike.

If I were in the market for a flat bar road bike of sorts I’d get a specialized sirrus X.
I just looked at the 2.0 - 5.0... Those are pretty nice bikes. I'm not sure how quickly I would acclimate to only a single gear up front (1x8 or 1x11). I'm really used to my 3x9 for its versatility.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I just looked at the 2.0 - 5.0... Those are pretty nice bikes. I'm not sure how quickly I would acclimate to only a single gear up front (1x8 or 1x11). I'm really used to my 3x9 for its versatility.
The fx sport carbon’s spec has dropped otherwise I’d say get one of those.

Should have plenty of range with a modern 1x

Squeaky192

Regular
Oct 4, 2022
Fox River Grove
Once you spend some time with a modern 1x12 speed setup you'll wonder why you ever fumbled with a 2x or 3x front setup. Even my 1x9 wasn't terrible on my Specialized Fuse I had for a short while, but the 1x12 SRAM stuff has been awesome for me.

Squeaky192

Regular
Oct 4, 2022
Fox River Grove
As far as OP goes, do you plan to jump and play around or just want something as efficient as possible for less intense offroad stuff?

The Marlin bikes are going to be much more-so XC style, so they will have a steeper headtube angle making them more agile at lower speed but a little more twitchy feeling at speed and descending. You also many times will feel much more "on top" of the bike versus a modern trail geometry bike like the Trek Roscoe.

While you'll spend a little more up front, things that I would make a point to get would be:

• Some sort of air fork - they are much lighter than the coil forks and allow you to dial in the pressure to your weight and liking. A shock pump is cheap on Amazon.
• Dropper post - being able to get the rear seat out of the way is a must to me, it makes descending so much safer and more fun.
• 1x driveline - not having to mess with a front derailleur is so nice, and the new rear cassette setups give you plenty of range.
• Tubeless ready rims - while you can convert most anything tubeless, having a wheelset designed for it is huge. I've ridden tons of rocky and chunky stuff and slammed stuff with speed and have never had a flat with my tubeless setup.

Unfortunately since 2020 all the MTB stuff has gone silly price-wise though, I still think the base Marlin comes in around $1200 but it may be with a coil fork at this point.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Squeaky192

Regular
Oct 4, 2022
Fox River Grove
Mountain bikes are unrideable without a dropper.

I beg to differ on good coil suspension though. On my hardtail I run a marzocchi fork with a grip 2 damper and love it. It’s basically a coil 36 without kashima.

I'm more-so thinking the quality of ride you'll get from a low budget coil fork versus a low budget air fork. The Suntour coil forks like on those two examples on the original post ride like pogo sticks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info