Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

WASHINGTON — California’s government has hit back at automakers that sided with President Trump over the state on fuel efficiency standards, saying Sacramento will halt all purchases of new vehicles from General Motors, Toyota, Fiat Chrysler and other automakers that backed stripping California of its authority to regulate tailpipe emissions.

The ban, which the California governor, Gavin Newsom, plans to implement in January 2020, is the latest shot in the intensifying battle over climate change between Mr. Trump and the state, which he appears to relish antagonizing.

“Carmakers that have chosen to be on the wrong side of history will be on the losing end of California’s buying power,” Governor Newsom said in a statement on Monday.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
LMAO this is butthurt on a whole new level. Maybe it's time to redo BRAC to reflect a CA-less presence. Then let them go their own way like they so desperately want to.

On the plus side, this would mean one single emissions target to meet as opposed to multiple, no?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. Something all manufacturer's have been trying for a long time. It saves them a ton of money only having to have ONE standard to apply to and having to make RPO codes (for GM), with specific parts to meet a certain jurisdications requirements.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I was taught (back when schools DID that) that California was forcibly taken from the Mexican people by the aggressive, warlike Americans.

The Americans also led the charge in decimating the indigenous population through various cruel programs.

I can't, in all that is kind and gentle in me (cough, cough) find it in my heart to continue to oppress the ill-gotten territory that is now California.

I recommend we give it back to Mexico, to do with as they see fit......:finger:

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
So what car company will CA be buying from? Tesla?
I read an article not long ago I think on The Drive website. A police dept was buying Teslas as their everyday squad cars in an effort to save fuel costs. I though I also recall reading in that same article that in a few chases, they officers had to back off due to running out of battery power.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I don’t see why you guys are FOR vehicle that pollute more. Every new vehicle should be CA / CARB compliant. What is the downside? And don’t say cost...other manufacturers make it work just fine. Toyota has actually had emissions increase since last year. This is unacceptable these days. When you buy a new car you expect new technology, including emissions performance. I’m not sure how Toyota and GM were both so ahead of everybody when it came to hybrid/low emission vehicles and then flushed it all down the toilet. Plus besides sports cars and the Malibu every new GM car for the last several years has been an embarrassment. Then they come out and say “we’re making more SUVs and CUVs now because that’s what people want!”. Yea, that’s because basically ever car you make is garbage. Then they cry about not being able to reach new CAFE standards.... yea if every car you made wasnt a SUV itd be way easier to hit those standards.

now If you the end user want to saw off the cats and reprogram the computer that’s all fine and dandy, but when the car is new it should easily meet CA emissions standards.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I read an article not long ago I think on The Drive website. A police dept was buying Teslas as their everyday squad cars in an effort to save fuel costs. I though I also recall reading in that same article that in a few chases, they officers had to back off due to running out of battery power.
What you didn’t read is how the cops came out and said that story wasnt true and since the police cruisers only do 80-90 miles a shift, a 300+ mile range EV won’t have a problem as a police cruiser.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don’t see why you guys are FOR vehicle that pollute more. Every new vehicle should be CA / CARB compliant. What is the downside? And don’t say cost...other manufacturers make it work just fine. Toyota has actually had emissions increase since last year. This is unacceptable these days. When you buy a new car you expect new technology, including emissions performance. I’m not sure how Toyota and GM were both so ahead of everybody when it came to hybrid/low emission vehicles and then flushed it all down the toilet. Plus besides sports cars and the Malibu every new GM car for the last several years has been an embarrassment. Then they come out and say “we’re making more SUVs and CUVs now because that’s what people want!”. Yea, that’s because basically ever car you make is garbage. Then they cry about not being able to reach new CAFE standards.... yea if every car you made wasnt a SUV itd be way easier to hit those standards.

now If you the end user want to saw off the cats and reprogram the computer that’s all fine and dandy, but when the car is new it should easily meet CA emissions standards.

For me personally, it's not about wanting vehicles that pollute more, it's about spending efficiently and effectively if it's my tax dollar being used (which in this case it isn't since I don't live there) and getting the best "tool" for the job at the best price.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
What you didn’t read is how the cops came out and said that story wasnt true and since the police cruisers only do 80-90 miles a shift, a 300+ mile range EV won’t have a problem as a police cruiser.
I think the 300 mile range would shrink greatly if the vehicle is being used at full throttle and high speeds for long distances. Don't electric cars gulp down the power when you get on them?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004

I read that article too, but if I recall, the cop ran out of juice because he forgot to plug the car in the night before.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Ah, fuck it all. Electric cars are the solution to everything.

Thanks for reading.

who said that? Electric cars are great, but so are gas cars that don’t spew poison out of the tailpipe and get more than 20mpg. You have to remember that we, the automotive enthusiast, make up a minuscule portion of car buyers. I’m betting you next door neighbor has a boring car. Do you think they would be happy or sad if that car was exactly the same but got 5 more mpg?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
who said that? Electric cars are great, but so are gas cars that don’t spew poison out of the tailpipe and get more than 20mpg. You have to remember that we, the automotive enthusiast, make up a minuscule portion of car buyers. I’m betting you next door neighbor has a boring car. Do you think they would be happy or sad if that car was exactly the same but got 5 more mpg?

EV's use rare earth metals to create their batteries. During the manufacturing process, these batteres carbon emissions.

Power has to come from somewhere, right? So, the EV's that are charged by the Nation's power grid will only be as "clean" as those grids.

Good info here I found that actually makes sense.

Am I arguing that non-EV's cause pollution? Nope. Of course they do.

ICE vehicles, while still polluting, are a LOT more efficient these days.

Eh, neighbors have nice cars. BMW X5M, Infiniti SUV (new), couple of drag cars in my neighborhood, etc.

Lot of BMW, Mercedes, etc. Few Honda's here and there.

Anyhow, just about fed up with how the wealthy guys talk shit about ICE cars like they are above them, and crap on people that cannot afford the vast majority of the EV lineup if they want something that actually gets out of its own way. The article above points this out quite a bit.

Reactions: Red Alert

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The carbon offset on something like a model 3, even being fueled by a coal power plant is 2 years compared to an average ice car- slightly more for the larger pack in the model S/X. Obviously if you charge with a renewable, that’s much less. I’d venture a guess that the car is going to last longer than 2 years so this old and tired argument is busted. Also “rare earth” doesn’t mean rare and it doesn’t mean poisonous like some people believe. Not to mention batteries are using less and less of them every year.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Fair point, but, it still doesn't change the fact that the manufacturing process is not safe by certain standards, and will be even worse once the big EV companies start mass producing more vehicles on an even greater scale.

Plus, as I recall, after 10 or so years when these batteries really start to fail and have to be disposed of, there is some type of impact as well. Could be wrong on that

Either way, zero emission vehicles have their draw backs on the environment just as ICE vehicles do too.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Well one thing to consider is that when the batteries “fail” it doesn’t mean they don’t work anymore. Typically it means they only hold 80% of their original capacity. Instead of just recycling them which could be done, they can reuse them for power grid storage where space and weight aren’t a concern (they still have plenty of life, just not as efficient in a vehicle anymore).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info