Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
wut

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/california-considering-text-message-tax/1654903666

SACRAMENTO, CA (NBC NEWS) -- California residents may soon have to pay a tax on texting.

According to KNTV, the public utilities commission is floating the idea to help fund programs that give low-income residents access to cell phones.

It's not clear how much the texting tax would be or how it would be collected.

Several business groups have come out against the proposal.

One business group says the program is flush with cash.

But state regulators say the program is breaking the bank after the budget for the program has been raised 300 million dollars in six years.

The wireless industry says the texting tax would put them at a disadvantage over other free messaging services like Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Apple's i-Message and others.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I've been getting people to switch to Signal. Encrypted peer-2-peer data based chat with sms/mms as a fallback built in. All open source and not taking other metadata like Whatsapp does (thanks Facebook) Its silly to use sms nowadays when everyone has data access. It sucks in general to send anything... especially confidential information, over sms.

Sms/mms is PLAIN FUCKING TEXT...anything you send CAN be read by anyone with access to the cell providers system. It also has low sending limits, downgrades pictures and can barely send videos...which it also downgrades...

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
My wife and I casually use Google Hangout to chat via IM. As others have said, there are too many ways of getting around this . It seems like this would be a futile attempt.

So when did having a cell phone become a right and not a privilege? It's ridiculous these days that everything is becoming a right because other people have access to it.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info