Cadillac CTS-V or Chevrolet SS? for $30k (poll)

CTS-V or SS

• CTS-V

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • SS

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
What the hell even is a Genesis? I like em but don't anything about them

Its a Hyundai. :)

Remember these? They started off as a 350z/370z contender.
2013_hyundai_genesis-coupe_coupe_38-track_fq_oem_4_1280.jpg

Hyundai spun it off into its own brand.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'm still a fan of the SS for the daily fun sedan. Its low key styling works to its advantage as no police will look twice at it. Even car guys won't look twice at it. Plus it will be newer, with less miles.

A CTS-V does stand out. Makes more power. Faster when stock. Not sure if the CUE system is any better than MyLInk, never used either of them.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That generation 5 was just a little too soft for my tastes; steering, suspension, brakes. Even in M Sport RWD trim. That's a killer deal, though.

Depends on if it had the M-Sport suspension. Most didn't but you don't sound interested anyhow so I'm not going to put on my salesman hat and shit on your post.

I say go CTS. Something about the CTS says weekend fun to me. I wouldn't want to drive it every day but it does seem like a fun car to kit out and drive on the weekends. Something about a weekend Chevy SS doesn't seem very appealing. It's more of a "I have to have a sedan so I'm going to do it right" type of car. It's kind of like people that used to have weekend Grand Prixs.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Depends on if it had the M-Sport suspension. Most didn't but you don't sound interested anyhow so I'm not going to put on my salesman hat and shit on your post.

I say go CTS. Something about the CTS says weekend fun to me. I wouldn't want to drive it every day but it does seem like a fun car to kit out and drive on the weekends. Something about a weekend Chevy SS doesn't seem very appealing. It's more of a "I have to have a sedan so I'm going to do it right" type of car. It's kind of like people that used to have weekend Grand Prixs.

I'd drive a 6 speed V as my Realtor daily driver. Once you get used to DDing a manual, it's not even noticeable that you're shifting. Have to have bluetooth for the phone, though.

Dave, Bru is talking about a weekend car not a DD.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'd drive a 6 speed V as my Realtor daily driver. Once you get used to DDing a manual, it's not even noticeable that you're shifting. Have to have bluetooth for the phone, though.

Been there done that. Maybe for other parts or the country. I did it in Chicago and it wasn't horrible but I'd be lying if I said driving to downtown on the Kennedy in rush hour traffic was fun. Now as a fun car, I'm down. A manual Cayman sounds like the bee's knees. I'd be hard pressed to DD a car without Autopilot at this point let alone one with a manual transmission.

Also, speaking of manual transmission cars, see what I put in your other post. :trump:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005

Ah, wasnā€™t sure. If a DD could hit 100k miles within 2 yrs.

I like the V, not a fan of the miles.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Maybe for other parts or the country. I did it in Chicago and it wasn't horrible but I'd be lying if I said driving to downtown on the Kennedy in rush hour traffic was fun.

That's a good point. Here, in my part of Florida, I can avoid the busy streets for the most part which would make a manual a lot more tolerable.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

BMW would likely be my go-to outside of the aforementioned picks. I looked at 540s of that year. Impressive numbers with a tune for sure, but I don't like the way the exhaust sounds, nor the augmented engine noise inside the cabin, on top of the drivability. Also looked at V-8 M3's. I don't know if the rod bearing failure is exaggerated on forums, but it was enough to be scary, and then, add in possible DCT issues and I lost interest - I'd want the auto over the manual. Wish that year had the ZF 8-speed - those things seem bulletproof.

stan5050

Regular
Apr 5, 2014
Canton MI
SS hands down

The Vs are outdated and heavy pigs. I found myself at a crossroads last year, throw the complete Nitrous kit that I had bought a while ago on the car, start saving for a forged motor (just in case) but then Iā€™d need axels and a driveshaft because they can break with bolt ons, so thatā€™s around $15k for motor, axels, and driveshaft. Next week link after that would be transmission, another $3-4K. Iā€™d have around $20k extra into this car that Iā€™ve already got $10k+ into and guess what? It still weighs over 4,000lbs...

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
From what I've read on forums and such, they seem to be overbuilt, which is why the reliability doesn't seem as frightening even if they were driven hard. Was that your experience?

I only wet11.90 with mine. Bone stock down to the tires except an airaid cai. Never heard of any of the 9 sec guys dropping a driveshaft or breaking an axle. Half those guys were still running the stock converter. 9.9ā€ ring gear btw Iirc the v has dual fuel pumps while a same year zl1 has a single bigger pump. With the performance shot outta the way car was a comfortable tourer. Wife wouldā€™ve done it again no question asked. In the recarros.

Thread Info