Cadillac CTS-V or Chevrolet SS? for $30k (poll)

CTS-V or SS

• CTS-V

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • SS

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
V

Its a nicer car to me. Everyone, unfortunately, thinks the SS is a malibu or Impala or some other run of the mill Chevy. If that's your thing, then great, but otherwise the V all day everyday.

PS I love a good sleeper and I'd buy an SS just not compared to a V.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I’d be nice if SS prices tanked, but they seem to be holding steady. I wonder if people are already seeing it as collectible.

They'll keep their value really well (especially rare colors with the 6MT), but the cost of insuring and owning this thing is quite a bit. I don't think they'll be a collectible but I'm not a collector car guru by any means, so who knows.

I have never owned a Cadillac, so I can't speak for the service experience there, but Chevy really has me frustrated a lot on this front. Many different issues have required multiple visits to get right despite me insisting on the parts and everything being present before scheduling. Getting an alignment is a challenge, nobody knows what the fuck it is and what specs belong to it (shops have followed Impala specs, Malibu specs, Camaro specs, etc... for others, for me I've mostly been met with "what the hell is that?"). I have to provide recall info and TSB info to the dealer most of the time, and they still fail to accomplish the task during the scheduled visit.... Some places, I phone up Service and they don't even know what the SS is.... I've tried multiple dealerships so far and it seems to be SSDD with this stuff. I bet if I did find a dealer who had their shit together with these cars, I wouldn't have this problem, but I've yet to find that place.

And the prospect of finding replacement parts years down the line doesn't seem too enticing either.

dberz94

Professional Slacker
Feb 14, 2015
You have to take into account that the previous owner probably drove that CTS-V pretty hard. SS owner probably traded it when it they heard they werent making them anymore, like most uneducated car buyers.

EDIT: The SS owner was probably a car guy too. The cts-v owner was probably some dad who said I want a cadillac but I also want to go fast in a mid life crisis mobile.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
In the grand scheme of things I think your average non-enthusiast doesn’t look at a 6 year old Cadillac as being much more impressive than an Impala. They’re both kind of meh cars outside of their respective communities. So I wouldn’t use the fact that people are going to confuse the SS for something else as a deterrent because it’s not like they’re going to look at the CTS and be like “wow, he made it!”. In fact, I think If anything the SS is going to get more if the kind of attention you want because it’s going to be true enthusiasts that know what it is.

I don’t want to sound too predictable (not going to recommend a Tesla) but there’s a 2012 535i, rear wheel drive with M-Sport and a 6 speed manual out here for $19,000. Better build quality than those cars and if you throw a tune, down pipes and E85 at it it will be the best car you own. Obviously it doesn’t have that American muscle appeal but it strikes me as a car you’d dig.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/2012-bmw-535i-sport-with-rare/6450206741.html

Also I selfishly need someone to buy it so I don’t.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
My main reason is...

f04951a3712d8323decf09fe08b3c658.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
So for the V camp, why? Simply more power? Better looks? Mod-ability?

Yes.

If you're looking for that type of car under $30K, how about considering a low mile 2015/2016 Genesis? V8 prices have dipped under $30K. Car started out around $54K. 420 hp although they don't run like either of the other 2. It's just the facts you can get a Genesis almost new for $20K or more less than it went for new plus it's highly rated that is appealing. Sounds pretty good with exhaust cutouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIy3--DbLhs

Here's an example I know nothing about other than price and mileage. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/722461255/overview/

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Yes.

If you're looking for that type of car under $30K, how about considering a low mile 2015/2016 Genesis? V8 prices have dipped under $30K. Car started out around $54K. 420 hp although they don't run like either of the other 2. It's just the facts you can get a Genesis almost new for $20K or more less than it went for new plus it's highly rated that is appealing. Sounds pretty good with exhaust cutouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIy3--DbLhs

Here's an example I know nothing about other than price and mileage. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/722461255/overview/

What the hell even is a Genesis? I like em but don't anything about them

Thread Info