YouTube C7 ZR1 vs Ford GT- 1/2 mile dig and roll race

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Please tell us how the laws of physics don't apply to roll racing. haha

The weight difference and where those weight differences are make up more than people probably figure. The 100 pounds isn't just 100 pounds. The unsprung and rotational weight. The suspension design and carbon fiber wheels all have small advantages that add up. Even though it is "only" 100 pounds weight difference, it is about how those weight savings was used. Change where and how that weight is used in the car and it's performance would change for sure. Plus the mid-engine design will also aid in weight distribution and how power is put down.

The vette is no joke. On a prepped track that the vette would hook well on and this could have been a much closer race. If not a different result.

No matter what, owning either car means you have a great car.

Never said that Pratt.

Just saying, a heavier car will suffer more from a dead stop vs. one that is already in motion.

I'm not intelligent enough to give you a scientifical explanation, but, I can say that it is easier for a skinny guy to take off running than it is for a fat guy.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That last example isn't a good one either. What if the fatter guy has a lot more muscle to do work (ala torque) to get that weight moving? lol I am messing with you

Yes, getting the weight moving is harder than once in motion. But torque, gearing, traction, and a lot more go into it. As does traction. So put them on a prepped drag strip and let's see what happens. Make that happen please. Make sure the vette driver is a good driver too. lol

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
To me, I feel like the ZR1 and Z06 weren't a huge leap compared to the C6 Z06/ZR1. The cars don't perform much better and the competition has stepped their game up significantly. That's likely why you haven't seen GM post ring times for the C7's and why they are moving to a mid-engine layout.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
[MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION] were the C6 Z06 and C7 Z06 that close in performance?

The C7 Z06 makes a lot more power, has a newer chassis, suspension, and so on. I would think the C7 Z06 would be much quicker. But I have not really looked into it.

Looks like I was wrong. The C7 ZR1 was quicker by a significant amount at C&D's Lightning lap. Motor Trend's Laguna Lap showed the C7 ZR1 to be about a second quicker. I'm curious how much of that is downforce and more importantly tire tech.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info