C6 Grandsport - Creaky steering

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
So I am driving home and I pull into my driveway, stop the car to put the roof on.

I turn the wheel a bit to get the car lined up in the garage and i hear these creaking like noises. Please see the video below to see what i mean.

Anyone else had this problem?

You have to click on the photo below to play the video. Its about 10 seconds.

Thanks,
Fred

P40E

Reaction score
Put your hand on the ball joints and have somebody turn the wheel back and forth about an inch . Or listen on each side.

HeavyG

Reaction score
Its the lowering bolts. ....i got to replace mine every year. Fuking sucks. You can lube them to get a little more life

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
So I need some more info please. If the lowering bolts are the culprit, the car is sitting on a flat surface, how do the bolts tie into the steering making noise?

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
a smooth garage floor and a recent "tire shine" or fresh road oil/tar, has done that to a few past customers. once a "sudden" squealing when turning "but not all the time" turned out that the asphalt had been sealed at her work....causing the noise...only when parking.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Reaction score
How many miles?

There were some where the rack to cradle bolts were loose, check that first. Then if the end links are stock aluminum, replace all 4 with steel moog. Also spray the sway bar bushings, they get dry and cause this too......also could be the other things mentioned.

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
car has about 4,500 miles. I am not replacing parts on a car this new. i will take a look at the cradle bolts, but this is something that just started yesterday.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
a smooth garage floor and a recent "tire shine" or fresh road oil/tar, has done that to a few past customers. once a "sudden" squealing when turning "but not all the time" turned out that the asphalt had been sealed at her work....causing the noise...only when parking.
I know this sounds crazy but this used to happen to me with my GS in our old garage. It was a nice smooth concrete and the tires would squeal like mofos when I pulled in. Just pull it out and see if it still happens on the asphalt. Sounds stupid, but its totally plausible. But to me it seemed obvious what it was....no offense.

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
So the problem was found and solved.

Problem: When the tuner i had install my cam there is a standard procedure to drop the cradle to get access to the cam, this includes unbolting the steering linkage bolts. When the car was put back together the bolts were not torqued properly and started to become loose. This seems to be a common issue from what i have read among multiple forums.

Solution: Dealer inspected fixed, realigned the front end. Problem solved. Not free but you gotta pay to play. Moving forward, I plan to have more work done on the car and I will have things gone through a bit more detailed to make sure i dont have this issue again.

Side note: Thank you to Stasek Chevrolet for getting my car in and out in one day and fixing me up without a formal appointment. [MENTION=8549]SBTerminator[/MENTION]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom