C6 Differential R&R

JBruno88

Reaction score
So I went to the track Friday night, and after my last pass when I went to jack the car up, there was gear oil all over the diff, mufflers and was dripping on the ground.

Drove the car home, no loud or odd noises from the diff at all. After talking with STG Motorsports we think it is one of two things...

1. The diff burped and puked fluid out the breather on top of the diff and sprayed it everywhere.

2. The case is cracked.

I'm going to attempt to do a removal, inspection and re-installation in my garage in Carol Stream this week.

I understand that my day job is not a mechanic, but I'd say I'm decently mechanically inclined. This will be one of the biggest jobs I have attempted in the garage and I was looking to see if anyone was willing to lend a helping hand.

If you come over I'll make sure I have cold beer and food. I'm thinking about starting to tackle this tomorrow night (Tuesday).

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=1909]utryd2[/MENTION]. He's an expert at removing any Corvette part.

utryd2

Reaction score
Check axle seals. Fairly common on c6 to leak/fail. Also make sure axles are pushed all the way in to the case.

If you cracked the case more than likely you would have broke the internals.

Highly doubt you burped that much fluid to cover all the parts listed and you would have had to over fill your diff imo.

So save yourself all the headaches first and check axles and seals first.

JBruno88

Reaction score
Axles and seals were 100% dry. I checked them at track when it happened and the following morning when I was cleaning everything off with brake cleaner.

JBruno88

Reaction score
I was able to squeeze my hand in between the mufflers and reach on top of the diff to feel the breather... There was gear oil puddled all over the top of the diff.

utryd2

Reaction score
Drain it see how much fluid you still had in the diff, refill to proper level and cruise around the neighborhood. Then check for leaks. Just drive long enough to get the fluid warm.

JBruno88

Reaction score
Drain it see how much fluid you still had in the diff, refill to proper level and cruise around the neighborhood. Then check for leaks. Just drive long enough to get the fluid warm.
Yup I'll get that done tonight.

JBruno88

Reaction score
My personal theory is that its a hairline crack in the case. When the diff is under load/WOT, the crack spreads allowing fluid to spray out, but when under normal driving it seals itself.

Tonight's test will either prove or disprove that theory.

JBruno88

Reaction score
Well we found the culprit. It was the tailshaft speed sensor cracking and pissing fluid passed the o ring. This isn't used on an auto base model because it's in the trans. We fabbed up a cover and sealed her back up.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
What do you suspect caused it to crack?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom