C1241 - Variable Effort Steering Circuit Malfunction

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Yesterday my SVS light/ABS/Traction Off lights came on. Scanner reads C1241, variable steering circuit malfunction. Should I be concerned about this? ABS does not work along with cruise control which kinda sucks, gotta have cruise control lol. Traction is off but I always turn it off so whatever...I disconnected magnasteer few months back, not sure if it has anything to do with this. Car is a 2002 Regal.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
There were 3 other stored in history but I cleared it so can't tell. C1232 left front wheel speed sensor circuit open/shorted was one of them for sure.

So it triggered C1241 few months later? My battery died the other day and I just replaced it, coincidence?

I'll plug magnasteer back in to see if it goes away.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Magnasteer reconnected, took it for a spin. ABS/SVS lit up as I was backing in the garage. C1241 is now in history and under current there's C1225 left front excessive wheel speed sensor variation. Will inspect the connector/harness on driver's side later today. Gotta feeling I'll be replacing the hub...AGAIN ?‍♂️

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
on the unibody rail near the abs module, basically opposite the battery framerail ground, clean em all.

also terminal fretting can contribute to voltage drop so just unplug and plug back in the wheel conn and the inline connector near the front joint of the LCA (alot of vehicles do not have the inline connector. however its a breakout point where the wires can be unsh9ielded by the corrugated sleeve and cut/damaged as the harness flexes along only a 1 inch area of wire.

costs nearly nothing and may well fix the problem if the voltage drop was enough to dropout the hall effecrt signal

Reactions: m_dogg
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• m_dogg
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list