Buying private party

wlorton

Enginerd
Reaction score
School me on purchasing private party.

You're supposed to follow wait periods correct?

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I don't think so... I've sold a couple and all I've done is draw up a detailed bill of sale listing the serial number of the gun being sold, then get a copy of the buyers drivers license and FOID, and that's about it.

Also bought a couple private party and they've done the same thing. You have to keep all documentation for 10 years though.

deviantlx

Reaction score
I don't think so... I've sold a couple and all I've done is draw up a detailed bill of sale listing the serial number of the gun being sold, then get a copy of the buyers drivers license and FOID, and that's about it.

Also bought a couple private party and they've done the same thing. You have to keep all documentation for 10 years though.

You are supposed to abide by the waiting period and you are under no legal obligation to show anyone your drivers license. A valid foid is all that's needed along with a bill of sale completed at time of purchase.

I don't have a problem showing my license but there are several "hardcore" gun fanatics that will tell you to get fucked if you ask them for theirs.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
School me on purchasing private party.

You're supposed to follow wait periods correct?

As of this year the seller will need to notify the state of the transfer. It is fairly easy process but is new and was not required before. Most people are not aware of this new law.

Illinois State Police FOID Person to Person

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) - Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2014. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

wlorton

Enginerd
Reaction score
As of this year the seller will need to notify the state of the transfer. It is fairly easy process but is new and was not required before. Most people are not aware of this new law.

Illinois State Police FOID Person to Person

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) - Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2014. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
Thanks.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
You are supposed to abide by the waiting period and you are under no legal obligation to show anyone your drivers license. A valid foid is all that's needed along with a bill of sale completed at time of purchase.

I don't have a problem showing my license but there are several "hardcore" gun fanatics that will tell you to get fucked if you ask them for theirs.
I wouldnt sell a weapon to someone unless i see both a FOID and another form of state ID just for redundant certification. If someone chooses not to, id just tell them to find another gun.

I haven't sold a weapon to anyone this year, so I was unaware of the new law where you have to contact the state police for a check either.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Reaction score
I won't even do a FTF. Too risky and too many nefarious characters. I'd sell to a family member, but that's it. I had my FFL ship a guy a gun in St. Charles. For $20 and shipping, it's not worth the time and risk to meet someone.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
I won't even do a FTF. Too risky and too many nefarious characters. I'd sell to a family member, but that's it. I had my FFL ship a guy a gun in St. Charles. For $20 and shipping, it's not worth the time and risk to meet someone.
That is another option. Depends on what your comfortable with. I have never had an issue with private. Although I buy/sell things often on CL. So I have become good at weeding people out and not putting myself in a bad situation. Its really not the hard to do. Anyway good luck in your purchase.

deviantlx

Reaction score

I wouldnt sell a weapon to someone unless i see both a FOID and another form of state ID just for redundant certification. If someone chooses not to, id just tell them to find another gun.

I haven't sold a weapon to anyone this year, so I was unaware of the new law where you have to contact the state police for a check either.

there is a big difference. im not the type of person to give a shit but I bought a colt from a good ol boy from out south. I asked him to see his license in addition to his foid card and he flipped.

I called my buddy who was a cop and he agreed that the gentleman is under no legal obligation to show me his license.

whenever it comes to guns the law is the best policy.....not hearsay on a website. lol.

Detour

Reaction score
-Wait time still applies, 24 long arms 72 handgun.
-The seller has to keep the paperwork for 10 years(name, address, FOID #, firearm serial number) buyer doesn't have to keep anything

You do not have to verify the FOID. The law even states there's no penalty for not doing the check.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
-Wait time still applies, 24 long arms 72 handgun.
-The seller has to keep the paperwork for 10 years(name, address, FOID #, firearm serial number) buyer doesn't have to keep anything

You do not have to verify the FOID. The law even states there's no penalty for not doing the check.

I hate reading laws.But I have tried to read this one in its entirety. Where does it state you do not have to verify FOID and there is no penalty? Just for my own knowledge. Maybe im not looking at right document.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K3

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
I'd just do it at a FFL store. No way that anything can be missed.

For the people saying a DL isn't required. Got to a store and buy a gun. It's not gonna happen without a DL or State ID.

Detour

Reaction score
I hate reading laws.But I have tried to read this one in its entirety. Where does it state you do not have to verify FOID and there is no penalty? Just for my own knowledge. Maybe im not looking at right document.

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes
Yea, that doesn't show everything. This one is the full text:
http://ilga.gov/legislation/98/HB/PDF/09800HB1189sam001.pdf
If you scroll down to page 22, line 15-17

except that a violation of subparagraph (1) of paragraph (k) of subsection (A) shall not be punishable as a crime or petty offense

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom