Buying a gun online questions

Danderson

Reaction score
I have done a little research about buying a gun online and still have some question? If anyone could help that would be great. I am looking at buying a m1a Springfield if I find 1 on sale online. I like in Kane county if that makes a difference. Correct me if I am wrong you buy the gun send in info to legally buy gun and info to where you will do the ffl transfer pay the fee and that's it?
1. When buying a gun online do you pay taxes if the store is out of state?
2. How much is the usaul charge for ffl?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
No taxes if the store is out of state, from fee is normally 20-30 bucks, you may have to contact the ffl and have them fax or email in there info in they have not had a gun shipped to them from the online store before

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
When I bought mine from Buds, I found and contacted an FFL before buying and asked for a price, and to give them the heads up that it would be coming and it would be for me and what it was. I would suggest finding one first then giving them a heads up.

Some shops charge more, and some wont even do it for some reason. Any shop can do it, so feel free to call around and ask.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
When I sell lowers I ask the customer what FFL they're going to use. I then contact them and request the info I need from them (license #, address, and phone). I then have the manufacturer send the product to the FFL under customers name.

I either have the customer go in and fill out the 4473 or if the FFL has the option, do it online. That way, by the time the product arrives, the waiting period is already over. Then they just pay the transfer fee (average is $20-$30).

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I either have the customer go in and fill out the 4473 or if the FFL has the option, do it online. That way, by the time the product arrives, the waiting period is already over. Then they just pay the transfer fee (average is $20-$30).

This is a very, very good point. The wait period is from the point you actually commit to buy not the point where money changes hands, or the point where it arrives at the gun shop. My advice is keep good paperwork on when you close the transaction if you're impatient.

Besides that, the other thing I'll say is there was an FFL thread floating around here. You can probably find one near you. Some gun shops won't do transfers because they don't want it cutting into their sales.

Outlaw

Reaction score
Marengo Guns does FFL transfers, I believe the fee is $20 or $25. If you're in St. Charles it's not that far from you.

Danderson

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found gunbroker has a ffl search and does give some prices listed. Turns out there is a small gun shop that is real close that I didn't even know about it that does it does it for $23.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom