Busted brake line...

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
...what a mess, trip , ordeal, etc.

Long story:
I was finishing the brakes Saturday night. Swapped the calipers, pads, and one hub (the reason i am finishing on Saturday). I put the wheels back on, took the jack stands out, and i am about to test drive the thing. All of a sudden the pedal goes to the floor and i can a spraying sound.

Then, i check the front calipers and i thought i found the leak, a loose banjo bolt. At the is point it is raining and really late so i decide to wait and bleed the brakes on Sunday.

On Sunday we tried to bleed the brakes (two man method) and then i see it the busted brake line spraying at the rear axle. Spent the next six hours replacing the line from center of the car to the right rear wheel, the line runs from the master cylinder.

Pretty proud of my bends but the flares, not so much. flaring on the car sucks. Also, without instructions and the internet i think i did ok. I practiced on line before i started and that showed me how tight the block has to be. Unfortunately, i found out later that there is a gauge that tells you how much line to have to flare. All of my flares filled the block just fine.

Basically, that sucked and i had to use two lines to get it done. the line over the axle looks fine the second line i am not too happy. Also, the whole time i am thinking i hope i dont have to drop the axle (too extreme) or a second lin fails after all that.

Car is running again.

Short story:
Brake line failed took me six hours, two lines, and learned how to flare on the fly. All sucked except the bending. Overall, bleed the brakes three times throughout the whole ordeal and the car is running. The only upside is i got to hang out with son all day.

/rant

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
I bought a cavalier for $600, had a broke brake line and the underside was rusted to hell. Lifted the car and the a-arm collapsed, never had to do the brake lines :picard:

Thankfully the guy gave the money back and we just junked the car for him

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Luckily you werent 80 miles from home when it happened.....

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
We have rusting brake line issues with out Chrysler. Every year I have to replace one or more. Why the hell can't the manufacturers spend a little money here and use better metal? Raise the price of the car $20 and save us hundreds.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
Luckily you werent 80 miles from home when it happened.....
yeah but you still had 50% brakes on the other circuit

i drove the 25$ dodge home from greencastle IN to HP 127 miles with NO brakes, just downshifting and parking brake with the locking pawl disabled

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah well you're fucking nuts.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
Reaction score
Flaring off the car... easy. Flaring on the car.....sucks. Last one I had to do, the beater cavalier, damn thing broke going toward the back, right behind the exhaust, in order to gain any minute amount of access to it, had to hack the exhaust off, flare and fix it, and hack the exhaust back on... fun night that was.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
i aint driving on 88 in the middle of traffic, kinda, with no brakes. when that line failed the pedal went to the floor.

C.Evans

Reaction score
I actually don't mind doing brake lines. Especially with the hyd. flaring tool (expensive as hell but well worth it). It makes any type of flare you can think of for any size line. Actually makes it enjoyable. I always got nominated to do brake lines at the shop I worked at because I did the "neatest" job.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have driven ten miles home using gears and emergency brake. Not a big issue. Allow a lot of distance between cars and gauge stop lights to hit them green. Wouldn't want to have to emergency stop using the E brake, though, and the cable might be rusted and/or worn so using it repeatedly could cause it to fail. Proceed with caution...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I actually don't mind doing brake lines. Especially with the hyd. flaring tool (expensive as hell but well worth it). It makes any type of flare you can think of for any size line. Actually makes it enjoyable. I always got nominated to do brake lines at the shop I worked at because I did the "neatest" job.
Translation: "We don't want to bend brake lines so... "You're so good at it. You do them."" :smile:

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
and today the right rear tire blew out on 355. i hit something and in the rearview it looked like a tierod.

I drove on it until i got off on the next exit, felt fine at 70MPH until it started coming apart. Rim is fine.

Anyone have some used rubber laying around?

Nick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom