3800 Bumper Cover Color

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
I am assuming that the gray insets on the gtp front and rear are supposed to be A) The same shade of gray B) at least on the '97 MY it is more of a silver grey, rather than a dark gunmetal. (did factory change to a darker grey in a later MY??) and C) even on a 10 year old paint job, a color wouldnt go from dark gunmetal to silver.

I got my GTP back today. Picked it up after the shop was closed. The rear bumper cover looks good now, no creases/scratches.... BUT the shop painted the lower gray part a very very dark gunmetal grey color. The front bumper still has the original color, which is so much lighter it isnt even close...

I'd like some verification to my above questions before I go yell at the shop...

help??

There are a number of different color codes for the lower part. I used to paint and always used the same color code for the GP bumpers, so I knew what I was doing once I found a good one that matched. Unlike the body color, there is no set color code for the lower part. So it basically depends on the painter doing it and how much prior knowlegde he had spraying them. Bottom line, most two tone colors on any car sucks to match.

Take it back and make them redo just the bottom part. They should be able to just mask the lower part off and redo it. Just make sure you tell them you dont wanna see or feel any paint lines where the break is.

Here's a pic of the rear and you'll see in my sig how it matches, not exact but there is different lighting.

Ok this was an excuse to show off my paint job...can't even tell I did the whole car huh... :ph34r:

HPIM0119.jpg

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
actually, when i go back, i'm tempted to get them to just paint the front silver part to match... since they put the reflective inlays in the rear already.

i went looking to see if i still had the pics of the car from the p/o since i havent taken any of it, but i cant find them.
[/b]

and i KNOW that you peeps have opinions... so what's the scoop?

anyone have a particular paint code that they know is accurate??

Might be easier to just have them paint the front to match like you said. Since it is their mistake theyd have to fix the rear, but it would be easier to just paint the front to match the rear instead of trying to match the rear with the front, like they already failed to do.
[/b]

Good call...I think someone on here painted thier front lower color a darker grey on a silver car, looks good.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
well, after further review... it looks like someone painted the front valance the wrong color, that's why it doesnt match. when looking very closely at the silver on the front now, in a few corners, i can see chips and the darker grey underneath.

so that being said, i bet the rear had been painted too.

oh well!

I may just have to paint the front myself if i get bored

haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Toasty
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list