• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Built IRS thinking about going to SRA thoughts ?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Im prolly loseing a second or more with this stupid IRS in the car :mad:

:confused:

You may pick up a few tenths in the 60 at the very best, a solid doesn't really make your car any faster. Post timeslips. Either way there is a way to drive with IRS, just gotta practice. Plenty of ppl have gone 10's in a KB cobra w/ IRS.

paging vic...

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I would disagree with that, I pickep up 4 tenths in ET with no other mods but the solid swap, losing 100lbs is worth a tenth alone

izzy

Witch really supports Conrads statement! .1 tent for the weight, .3 tenths on your 60foot so it shaved off .4 off your time. I don't know how your IRS was setup but all urithane and full slicks are a must.

Plenty people on here in10s on IRS just gotta set it up. Real scenario is solid will make life easier at the track but ride worse on street. IRS is pure sex on the street. I have found IRS hooks better on the street than a solid.

Real question to ask yourself is do u see enough track time? If yes then do the solid. If your goal is just hittin 10s and bragging about having a 10 sec car u don't need a solid to do that.

And level 5s r a waste of money, they too break! Pick up some spare half shafts learn to change them much cheaper.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Witch really supports Conrads statement! .1 tent for the weight, .3 tenths on your 60foot so it shaved off .4 off your time. I don't know how your IRS was setup but all urithane and full slicks are a must.

Plenty people on here in10s on IRS just gotta set it up. Real scenario is solid will make life easier at the track but ride worse on street. IRS is pure sex on the street. I have found IRS hooks better on the street than a solid.

Real question to ask yourself is do u see enough track time? If yes then do the solid. If your goal is just hittin 10s and bragging about having a 10 sec car u don't need a solid to do that.

And level 5s r a waste of money, they too break! Pick up some spare half shafts learn to change them much cheaper.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

+1 this topic sucks

what tires you running? Weather like we have been having and MT's hook good, if you getting wheel hop I guess you no have MT's

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005

i have mm kit and level 5's installed but now im getting more wheel hop then with stock half shafts , stock bushings and irs brace. Im thinking about trying his kit http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/ Im still anti SRA but if i cant get car going at the track then im losing alot more then .4 tenths with almost 600 rear wheel im doing 2.0 60 ft and 12.1 was doing that with eaton and pulley 450 horse :mad:

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

+1 this topic sucks

what tires you running? Weather like we have been having and MT's hook good, if you getting wheel hop I guess you no have MT's

should of never bought stupid 1,799 level 5's but thats what you said too :D i have 315 mickey drag radial car still wheel hops at start maybe i need to have some people drive my car and see how it drives

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
PSI in them?? I normally would never punch it from dead stop, but any movement in WOT in any gear hooked and went

what psi should i be at

Q: "I see that you offer a 36mm socket. What's it for?"

A: The 36mm socket is a tool that EVERY Cobra owner should own. This socket will allow you to check the torque (240-250#) of your rear halfshaft nuts. This should be done at every oil change if you're a street driven car or before every racing event. (1/4 mile or road course) It is also the correct socket for when your non-serviceable front hubs need replacing. This socket, along with a 1/2" drive torque wrench that goes to 250#, belongs in the tool box of EVERY single person that owns a Cobra and works on it themselves. This socket is priced below what you can buy it for at your local Auto-Zone or O'Reilly's.

and is this imporant to do ??

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
connie said the solid wouldnt make it faster but it does:p

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

You may pick up a few tenths in the 60 at the very best, a solid doesn't really make your car any faster. Post timeslips. Either way there is a way to drive with IRS, just gotta practice. Plenty of ppl have gone 10's in a KB cobra w/ IRS.

paging vic...

:dunno:

don't feel like typing out a long response this topic = teh suck

good drivers can 60 1.8 on street tires and 1.6 on an IRS with a slick easily....in which case your car wouldn't get much faster with a solid. Though, in order to do what i said above...you gotta take a little life off the clutch. THAT's why you go solid.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004

paging vic...
Exactly. A solid axle isn't a magical cure that will provide traction. If you can't hook on a decent tire with an IRS, there are likely other reasons.

If you expect a solid axle is going to give you a full second of ET you're going to be massively disappointed.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
i have mm kit and level 5's installed but now im getting more wheel hop then with stock half shafts , stock bushings and irs brace. Im thinking about trying his kit http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/ Im still anti SRA but if i cant get car going at the track then im losing alot more then .4 tenths with almost 600 rear wheel im doing 2.0 60 ft and 12.1 was doing that with eaton and pulley 450 horse :mad:
Put a REAL tire on the car. Until you do that, you're not going anywhere.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
100lbs off=.10 faster

:deadhorse::lmao:
Yes. But when I went slicks I shaved off .4 tenths on IRS so in the end it's all the same shit. Just one makes life a little easier at the track.

what psi should i be at

Q: "I see that you offer a 36mm socket. What's it for?"

A: The 36mm socket is a tool that EVERY Cobra owner should own. This socket will allow you to check the torque (240-250#) of your rear halfshaft nuts. This should be done at every oil change if you're a street driven car or before every racing event. (1/4 mile or road course) It is also the correct socket for when your non-serviceable front hubs need replacing. This socket, along with a 1/2" drive torque wrench that goes to 250#, belongs in the tool box of EVERY single person that owns a Cobra and works on it themselves. This socket is priced below what you can buy it for at your local Auto-Zone or O'Reilly's.

and is this imporant to do ??

Yes 36 mm socket is a must. Level 5s are a waste IMO.
13-15psi track
20-22street

close the thread

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info