• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Building motor alone?

Dec 12, 2018
I recently purchased a bare block GEN2 LT1. Plan on taking it to get cleaned up and ready for a 383 N/A build. I've rebuilt a couple SBC's but, with a couple of buddies in a shop or garage. When I told my pops and a few of his "old school" buddies they suggested I build it myself because... that's where all the enjoyment comes from on the first start up. I'm not too worried about the actual assembly (mentally prepared lol). What it is that I'm worried about is where I'll build it. My garage is about 20 mins from my flat. So I'm wondering if anyone has built a GEN2 LT1 that I can reach out to for help here and there? And is it possible to build this motor at my flat on an enclosed porch? Like, to what extent do I build b4 I need to have it at the garage. Or should I just leave it up to a shop? If shop, can anyone recommend someone/where that's knowledgeable of the platform I'll be using?

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm all for building transmissions, rear-ends, etc at home. Building an engine(bottom end) without quite a bit of specialized tools and skills is a huge PITA and easy to screw up. It's the one main thing I'd want to leave to a pro.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Has the block been prepped/clearanced? Is the rotating assembly that your going to be using balanced? The gen I shortblock and gen II SBC's are not much different from one another other than the design of the cooling ports and the waterpump being cam driven vs. belt driven. As far as where to build it, just make sure everything that you are assembling is extremely clean as well the environment being clean/dust free and area should be around room temperature. There is a lot to it, attention to detail, propper planning of components and tools are a must to build something that can last or hold serious rpm/abuse without eating itself.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I understand wanting to build it yourself, however if you want it to run well and last, I also recommend having a shop build it. At least the shortblock anyway. When you're putting the bottom end together, the parts HAVE to be meticulously clean, and building an engine on your porch isn't going to cut it. Once the shop assembles the bottom end into a shortblock, you can do the rest.

Dec 12, 2018
Yes. A gen 2 small block 92-97 LT1. Seems like leaving at least the bottom end to a pro is the way to go. I'm familiar with Golen and and Ellwein motors as well their just not local to Chicago. Any recommendations local? Not many people wasting their time on these motors with 5.3 swaps taking over.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I'm all for building transmissions, rear-ends, etc at home. Building an engine(bottom end) without quite a bit of specialized tools and skills is a huge PITA and easy to screw up. It's the one main thing I'd want to leave to a pro.

I built 4 engines myself...the first being when I was 16. I don't know what the big deal is if you're careful. Only formal training I had was a family full of gearheads and a pile of hot rod mags

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I built 4 engines myself...the first being when I was 16. I don't know what the big deal is if you're careful. Only formal training I had was a family full of gearheads and a pile of hot rod mags

I don't really see the point unless you just want the experience. You have to pay someone to do all of the machining, which is the brunt of the work. May as well just pay them to do the final assembly of the bottom end at that point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info