Brrr. Cold Outside so... It's Chili Time!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
With the cold weather, seemed like a perfect time to make some chili. I do this once or twice a year at most because it literally takes 2 hours to chop up the veggies, meat and open all the cans. Then it's another few hours simmering after browning the meat and adding it to the caramelized veggies. I like to use a separate pan for browning the meat because it doesn't get the same browning if I put it in with the veggies right away.

One $75 trip to the store and I have the makings for a doubled recipe. Only took a pick of the fixin's because chili looks like chili. I may take a finished bowl pic tomorrow when we eat it. I double the recipe because this is a fan favorite and it disappears. This way I can freeze some and thaw/cook it later for more goodness. I use my biggest stock pot and it comes up to within an inch of the top. 2 lbs. of saussage, 4 lbs. of 80/20 hamburger and a 2 lb. chuck roast for larger chunks of meat in the chili. I think it's the chunks that have won me chili contests with this Guy Fieri Dragon's Breath Chili recipe.

Edit: Just tried it and it's amazing. Blows away most chilis I have tried (as usual). I de-seeded the jalapenos this time and it has a nice, complexly sweet and savory, taste with a mild flavor and a finish of just right heat to let you know it's chili. I'll add some green onions, shredded, 4 year aged, cheddar and sour cream tomorrow to the finished bowls. Maybe some oyster crackers.

arQj4li.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Flyn
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list