Brrr. Cold Outside so... It's Chili Time!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
With the cold weather, seemed like a perfect time to make some chili. I do this once or twice a year at most because it literally takes 2 hours to chop up the veggies, meat and open all the cans. Then it's another few hours simmering after browning the meat and adding it to the caramelized veggies. I like to use a separate pan for browning the meat because it doesn't get the same browning if I put it in with the veggies right away.

One $75 trip to the store and I have the makings for a doubled recipe. Only took a pick of the fixin's because chili looks like chili. I may take a finished bowl pic tomorrow when we eat it. I double the recipe because this is a fan favorite and it disappears. This way I can freeze some and thaw/cook it later for more goodness. I use my biggest stock pot and it comes up to within an inch of the top. 2 lbs. of saussage, 4 lbs. of 80/20 hamburger and a 2 lb. chuck roast for larger chunks of meat in the chili. I think it's the chunks that have won me chili contests with this Guy Fieri Dragon's Breath Chili recipe.

Edit: Just tried it and it's amazing. Blows away most chilis I have tried (as usual). I de-seeded the jalapenos this time and it has a nice, complexly sweet and savory, taste with a mild flavor and a finish of just right heat to let you know it's chili. I'll add some green onions, shredded, 4 year aged, cheddar and sour cream tomorrow to the finished bowls. Maybe some oyster crackers.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm, chili.

75 degrees right now....
:rofl:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Shhh. It took some time after I had the idea to actually get motivated enough to make it. It's like a zillion cans to open. 80* down here today but it'll still be a good, easy to reheat meal during the games... Once Amy gets off my friend's boat and comes home for dinner, that is. LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom