Brown sludge in coolant ?

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
2000 Chy Voyager 3.3l. Dosn't overheat but a month or so back I found the coolant was a sludge almost mud type of mixture. One of the boys thought maybe he poured trans fluid in by mistake. The other bouth and added they wrong type of anti freeze. So I flushed it 3 times over 2 days and refilled it.
Well it looks like mud again. Real thick, almost dries like clay.
Help needed !!!!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
1. Good answer. Flush again in case the sludge is residue that the new coolant is washing off the inside of the lines (good).

2. Bad answer. Take off your oil cap, look inside, remove your dipstick and look at it to see if you have residue there or clean oil. If residue, you may have a blown head gasket and have oil and antifreeze mixing (bad).

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Chocolate milkshake is oil. Strawberry milkshake is ATF. Yours sounds like oil.

1. Good answer. Flush again in case the sludge is residue that the new coolant is washing off the inside of the lines (good).

Even if that is the case it was leaking at some point. If he has never noticed the problem before, odds are its still leaking. Gotta fix the problem, not the symptom.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
If oil goes into cooling system, coolant should be in oil considering the cooling system is under pressure and would go right through where the oil came from.

researching this on google, quiet a lot of arguments about this statement..lol
Many said even though they flushed it would come back several times as it gets stuck in pockets. Many think its air mixing in the system or mixing of anti-freeze. I'll get the cooling system pressure checked.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info