• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Broken Easy-Out Extraction (A Miracle Happened Today)

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Soooooo let me explain what happened here. I have very little play money right now. I also have this issue where I don't like stay out of the garage despite all the cars being pretty good. Facebook marketplace is going to give me an aneurysm, but I'm very tired of this cast iron anxiety package taking up space in the garage.

Instead of just throwing it in the trash where it belongs, I decided to take out my boredom on it. It feels too wasteful to scrap or give away, so welcome to another one of my projects. ? Just what I needed! This one will be super casual though. If I ever get this thing running it will be with summit cart fillers and things I find for prices too good to pass up. Don't get your hopes up. lol

Anyway, the headache!
1603495228625.png
1603495210215.png

Big yikes
1603495251426.png
1603495262590.png

Normal people would see this, turn around, and rethink the idea of touching anything. I tried something else.
1603496049487.png
1603495339540.png

Oops.
1603495374926.png

I wish I had pictures of the next steps. oops :(

I threw another nut on there, turned the gas on this time :rolleyes:, and filled the whole top of the broken bolt with a weld pool. Keep in mind, that you aren't going to get anything to stick to the easy-out so I had to get up super close to the edge. Luckily, this cast iron doesn't really take to welds either.

I broke the nut off again, and broke out the center punch. This time I was going to drill into the weld until I got down to the easy out again. Sweet. Now I'm back to where I started except I have a nice guide. Here's the kicker. :s00ls: I broke out a punch the same size as the hole which is just slightly smaller than the easy out and beat the hell out of it with a 5lb hammer.

The easy-out disintegrates, and I now have a good cylinder head core. (y)(y)(y)
1603495893345.png
1603496116852.png

1603496144910.png

Siiick. Now to go to the disaster on the other head. Four out of seven bolts broke. Thankfully it looks like it's only bolts and no bits or easy-outs.

This one was not protruding far enough to do much with. Drilling worked though.
1603496346670.png
1603496359883.png

Then there was this long boi. It looks like the head just snapped off but damn was it rusty! I ran a thread die all the way down so that nuts could be spun on and jammed together. With some PB and a lot of careful wiggling, this finally broke free.
1603496449200.png

I don't know if anybody cares, but I'm feeling pretty proud to have successfully removed a broken easy out, from a broken bolt, from a 45 year-old cast iron cylinder head in under an hour. I know this is probably a lot of dumb luck too though, so don't get discouraged if this doesn't work for you. I just figured I'd spread the word.

I'm also feeling like a real life Hank Hill. I could have just drank my beer and watched the storm in peace. Instead I extracted rusty bolts from an engine I hardly care about.
1603496998624.png

O

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I feel your pain on garage boredom. I have had something to wrench on for a large part of my life. Being forced to sell my Mustang due to job loss has left an empty whole in my heart. Oil changes are exciting days at casa de Gladiator :)
It feels like kind of an unhealthy obsession at this point, but with all the events being cancelled I'm even more confused with where to go with my cars. I have little desire to drive any of the fun cars because there's nobody to cruise with or race. Even if I wanted to go to breweries and stuff with friends, wearing masks, lowered capacities, and table time limits really take the fun out of it.

Hopefully, we'll all have better things to do with our lives soon.

Reactions: GLADIATOR
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info