So I attempted to get my NHRA license today, and failed miserably. Lets back up a bit though to last night. I had to do a few things to the car to get it ready for today. First up was changing the dome pressure sensor. It wasnt reading, and if anyone remembers the dome pressure sensor wiring was what melted and shorted at Drag Week so that sensor probably go fried in the process. Well that is all fixed now
New sensor, new wiring, and I verified all the wiring just to be double sure its right.
Next up I swapped out my torque converter bolts. I had the "long" ARP bolts in there, they are 1.25" and they ended about half way into the nut. That wont do, so I swapped them for some fresh grade 8 bolts that are the right length. Good thing too, since two of them were lose enough to take out without tools
I buttoned up some other little odds and ends, and was ready to go.
I need to get those water spots off somehow. Also I took the hood off because I havent finished cutting for the hood pins. I need to borrow my buddies jig for them (to make it easier) and havent gotten over there yet to do so.
I also decided to get the trailer hooked up and ready to save time in the morning.
This morning I got up and loaded the car, and then headed to Byron.
I got all set up, got through tech and got into the lanes for my first hit
And it was terrible
So it wheel hopped really badly which it has never done before, I peadled it and then the boost was running wild and it hit boost cut. I lifted and shifted second, got back into it just for it to give me ALL the boost agin and cut out again. I tried lifting and getting into it again but no dice.
Lukily my buddy Mike showed up right about then and got to work on the laptop making some adjustments.
I go back up, and many hours later make another hit, basically still the same.
At this point we make some changes in the computer and took the car out on the road to see whats going on. We detrmine something is either wrong, or we are not setting things up correctly, and ditch the boost controller. Make a pull on the street to verify its good, and its holding around 14lbs. Perfect, lets go back up with the SLIGHTLY more agressive launch settings, but the reasonable boost and see what happens.
Getting better, but clearly much slower than GLD from a week ago. It wheel hopped badly again and I pedaled twice. Also on this pass, I had waited in the staging lanes for 3.5 hours watching everyone on the property make multiple passes. Then when I do my burnout and get to the line they tell me my belt is coming off. I said are you going to let me run? He asked if it would over heat, and I told him not if you shut the fuck up and let me go LOL The tensioner slipped and let the belt come lose, but it did stay on so I fixed that up and got right back in the lanes. We had backed down the launch again, still spun/wheel hopped. The air was also worse at this point so I lost some MPH. I didnt take a pic of the slip, but it was 10.7 @ 131 or so.
After that I loaded up and headed home. I was there basically open to close, and was only able to get 4 runs in all day. Tomorrow I am going to try and work out whats going on with the boost control. I also am going to have to get back to Byron to get my passes done. I think I can come out from idle and just give it more boost up top and get it done, but I would probably need to be able to get more passes to be sure! Overall I am happy though, Car is running good, and is making good power. The trans is good, and I still learned some things. I guess stay tuned to see what other BS may go wrong on this thing