Small update since I was pretty busy this weekend. First up, during the week I got a few items.
Just some breakin oil, a turbo blanket (finally) and some pushrods. After checking and checking again, and measuring a few differen ways, and thinking about it and checking again.... I surpisingly came up with needing 7.400" pushrods. I am confident in the number, just seems really odd to me since the old motor (same heads that were surfaced), same lifters, etc needed 7.350 and this block was decked. I guess the cam base circle is pretty different between the cams. Who knows for sure, but I guess I'll find out.
Anyway, I wanted to get the engine buttoned up so I started with the windage tray and pickup. I had to drill some of the holes in the windage tray to clear the ARP studs. I also had a bit of trouble with the pickup and the pump. I noticed when I took the old engine apart that the oring was not sitting flat. Well when I put it all together this time I noticed it was doing the same thing. So after messing with it a while I got it how it should be. Basically the pickup tube is probably slightly too long. I didnt put too much time into it because I want to change both covers, and the pan, pickup, and windage tray soonish.
I then cleaned and installed the front cover. No pics of that for some reason. The only annoying thing there is I have the motion timing pointer. I had it powder coated at my work recently, and there are two spacers for it. I either never brought them in, or we lost them somewhere along the line. I ended up digging through a box of shit and finding the other two ARP bolts for the cover so its on line normal without the pointer for now.
Then I cleaned up the rear cover and installed that. The front and rear covers torque to 18 ft/lbs, and the front was no issue. The rear on the other hand, first bolt stripped. I got the next 2 I think then another was not good feeling. Also, it onlt got to around 15 ft/lbs before it let go, so not a lot of torque at all. Most of them did not feel great, so I went 15 on the rest and hopefully thats fine. Not really happy about that at all though. Before anyone asks, they are ARP bolts as well, and were the same ones with the same cover and gasket I had on the old engine.
Once that was done, and I had decided fuck it, I moved on to the flex plate so I could get it back on the stand. This was pretty straight forward and those ARP bolts torqued up just fine
Today I got the pan on. This ALSO torques to 18 ft/lbs and they were not great feeling again. I did them all to 15 or 16 and will just hope for the best. Again, the same APR bolts, pan and gasket from the old engine. I point this out because my only thought is that there isnt enough thread engagement, but I dont actually think thats the problem.
I pretty much think that this engine was fuckng trashed before I got it for too much money. There was a lot of evidence of it being apart multiple times (heads off for sure). I would not be suprise if they rear cover and pan had been off and they ugga duggaed it all back together and fucked up the holes. Really upsetting after all the work I have into this block, but like I siad hopefully its sealed up fine and I wont have issues.
Moving on to better things, I also picked up some new (to me) rears.
They are 15x8 Billet Specialties Street Lites with 5.5" back spacing. I do want to run a 275/60 on the car, but I originally wanted a 15x10 and a different offset. Here they are on the car.
I am unsure yet on the fitmet. Ill clearly need to roll the the lip flat, and seems like probably also strech it some. But before that I need to change the rear brakes, and also the wheel studs. They are just a wee bit beffier than the old setup though
Thats all for now. I need to get some hardware for the damper and I can get that back on. I also need some solution for my ultrasonic so I can clean up the rockers before I finish that all up. Should start coming together pretty quick now. I want to get it wrapped up and testing soon so I can be good and ready for June