Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Broke EF turbo LS SC400 Build

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I fucking love that "exhaust" :ROFLMAO: Also still love that coil pack setup. Glad everyone was OK in that ATV incident. Yikes.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Wooo boy you did a lot of work on the car I can tell.

Apologies if you already answered this but what is your plan for your exhaust?
Its been a lot of "small" things that just take a ton of time. I still have so much of that kind of stuff left to do too.

This year my plan is probably just what you see there since its so late in the year already. I want to run a full 4" from the turbo all the way out of the bumper. I may have to go smaller, but we will see. It gets tight around the starter is the biggest issue.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That was the most casual build startup I've ever heard 😂

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
It has happened!!! I drove the car under its own power today. Just out of the garage, down the driveway.

And then back in the garage and up onto the lift!!

I dont feel like looking it up, but its been over 3 years since it has moved under its own power. In that time I am pretty sure I have never been in the driver seat to move it. I usually do it from outside the car, or have someone else steer it. Of course it still needs a lot of work, and it leaked all over my driveway, but thats fine by me :D

My neighbor got video of it, so I should have something sooner or later to prove it moves LOL. Now that its back up on the lift I can change the oil, adress some small leaks, finish some wiring, bleed the brakes, and so on and so on. I cant wait to start putting miles on it!!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
It's always one step forward, two steps back. I wanted to make the track day, but I knew that was pretty unlikely. Then I saw the announcement for tomorrow's cara and coffee and thought "hey I can probably make that!". So I spent today getting things more finished in anticipation of driving to Elgin tomorrow morning. I even called and started my insurance.

Then I took it for a drive around the block. I saw some smoke and the some spray on the windshield. Turns out my power steering pump decided to blow apart? It's just dumping fluid out of the shaft around the pulley and making a massive mess.

The only thing I can think of is the lines on the rack are backwards? I don't even know if that would do it. Anyway I just went inside. Fuck this car.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Remove the belt and pull out word on the pulley and see if it slides out it may have sheared off the splined section at the rear if the pump locked up from debris

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Whew, what a weekend!!! I stayed up till around 1 last night (this morniing) putting it all back together and getting ready. I ended up putting in a new pump, bled it, kinda sorta aligned it (WAY WAY off) locked down the tierods and everything, fabricated the lower IC pipe, headlights back in, and some other small shit. I was back up at 6AM and back in the garage at 7 working on some more stuff. I got the trans topped off and then I was finally ready for its first real drive to quickly rinse it down at the local car wash.

After that I ran home and cheaned up a bit, before running out and getting gas and heading to Elgin.

All in all the car did great! It has some bugs to work out, but it made it there and back. Its loud, hot, and full of fumes, and I love it :D

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Random mid week update time :D

I am going to gloss over the accident for now. Lets talk about whats been happening with the car. The big thing is I have been fighting the car running hot since day one. I have tried a handful of things, and so far nothing is helping. I think I finally figured it out, not running a thermostat. My waterpump (F-Body) has a built in bypass and its just wide open with no stat. The housing I had on the car was designed for a normal SBC/BBC thermostat, which I did try. So I orderd up a Motion Raceworks housing.

Unfortunately I needed to get another stat for the gasket. That worked out fine though since it was raining today, I couldnt take it out to test it anyway. Tomorrow the plan is to put it back together, take it out for some spirited driving and see how it does. If all goes well, I am planning on taking it to work Thursday and then to GLD after to make some passes. For this first trip out I am planning on just foot braking at the most. No trans brake, no boost controller yet. Also to try and help out on the cooling I got some plates from LRB speed to direct the air to the radiator.

I also got the center trim piece to make it a little easier around the shifter. I am going to powder coat all that stuff, try to make it a little better looking. Besides that I got around to putting the interior back together.

Thats kinda about it for now. I am really hoping that the thermostat fixes my cooling problems. I also have a monster SPAL fan to install too, but I want to see what it does without it first. Putting the interior back together has reminded me that I really REALLY want to rip out the wiring and re-do the car bumper to bumper. That will probably happen over the winter along with a cage. Next up on the list (tomorrow) is get the passenger window rolled up (not sure whats wrong there), and get the temporary fender and headlight installed. That seems like enough random babling. Here are some random pics :D

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Donating Member
Reaction score
You have to run the proper thermostat in a mixing cooling system used on 98% of newer engines.

In the old days the thermostat would open all the hot water would leave the block and a whole bunch of cold water would rush in and caused expansion problems that would lead to scrubbing of head gaskets and Gasket failure.
Modern engines use thermal mixing system that mixes the cold water from the radiator with the hot water in the block leading into the water pump Inlet so that it is homogenized and then put into the block to prevent thermal shock issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom