Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Broke EF turbo LS SC400 Build

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
It's definitely gettin there man (y) You know now is not the time for shortcuts, so when it does fire up you know it'll be good to go. Cant wait for it!
Thanks! I try not to ever take shortcuts. I do like the idea of being able to fire it abd basically just be able to take off if I wanted. I dont know if it will be THAT fuinished when it starts, but the longer it goes the closer it gets.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Its update time!! I have no idea why, its still not running, but I feel compelled to post here I guess :) It is getting SO CLOSE, and yet I have been super unmotivated to work on it lately. Today I got a decent amount of little stuff done, so lets bring you guys up to speed.

I started tying up the lines under the car a while back.

I used stainless steel rivnuts with some red locktite on them to help hold them in place. Then balck stainless hardware, and stainless clamps. The undercoating on this car kills me. I had to grind it off around every point and its so thick in sposts its making the lines sit weird.

Then I started getting the battery mounted finally. I made up this piece (not my finest work) to support the battery.

I decided to put a ground stud on it. My MIG welder was fucking up when I tacked it in, so ignore that :)

I fully welded it in, and threw a coat of paint on it. While it was drying I started on my air system.

That is all mounted on isolators, plumbed etc. I stil lneed to wire it, and run the push lock line up front.

Just working on the battery/wiring/kill switch

So this pic you can see the 1/0 main power from the battery to the swicth, and from the switch to the circuit breaker. Then its a 2 from the switch to the relay board, and a 4 draped over the top that is for the alternator. For some reason I dont have a pic of it all finished.

Here you can see the 1/0 from the circuit breaker going to the front of the car

Here you can see the main 1/0 for power up front as well as the 4 from the alternator being run with my trans cooler lines

Qucik shot of the fuel pump wired up. This may end up being temporary, not sure. For anyone wondering its 12ga wire.

I pretty much wrapped up the back of the car, and got the wiring pulled up front. I needed to get the Supra back on the lift so I shuffled everything around.

Current pic of under the hood, just because.

And swapped

Thats about it, just lots of tedius little things lately. It is getting very close, I just need to buckle down and really get after it. I am going to get back to working on it after work which helps a lot more than you think.

Still trying to be ready for the track rental on the 6th. Fingers crossed

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you can get this car ready, rental entry is on me.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Damn! That wiring is THICKKK

Electric/hybrid/turbo LS1!!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Damn! That wiring is THICKKK

Electric/hybrid/turbo LS1!!
Yeah, its massive overkill. Basically it was the same price as 2ga from another place I was getting stuff from so I was like GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! Then I got the spool and was like, FUCK.

Its alright, between that and the battery I have given myself a lot of places to make improvements (remove weight) LOL

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
That fuel pump seems small for the caper you're running here. Is it just a booster for an in tank or am I missing something?

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
That fuel pump seems small for the caper you're running here. Is it just a booster for an in tank or am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything, its just small(ish). It is basically an inline "044" pump which means iIt should support a decent amount of power, probably close to what the injectors can handle. It's kind of a toss up on which will run out of room first between the two. I knew I wouldn't be able to run the car very fast legally this first year, so I went with a more budget pump. Technically I can only run 11.49 with no cage or rollbar in the car. I HOPEFULLY dont need 1,000 WHP to do that :)

Bigger pump, and injectors are on the list for winter upgrades. I should be good on the -10 feed and -8 return for a while at least.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
No, you're not missing anything, its just small(ish). It is basically an inline "044" pump which means iIt should support a decent amount of power, probably close to what the injectors can handle. It's kind of a toss up on which will run out of room first between the two. I knew I wouldn't be able to run the car very fast legally this first year, so I went with a more budget pump. Technically I can only run 11.49 with no cage or rollbar in the car. I HOPEFULLY dont need 1,000 WHP to do that :)

Bigger pump, and injectors are on the list for winter upgrades. I should be good on the -10 feed and -8 return for a while at least.
Certainly enough pump to get you kicked off the track at 5 psi. :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Donating Member
Reaction score
The 044 is a good piece.

It's just the old version of the modern turbine pump with straight blades on the Impeller.

The new stuff is just fancy brushless motors and curved plastic impellers

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
The 044 is a good piece.

It's just the old version of the modern turbine pump with straight blades on the Impeller.

The new stuff is just fancy brushless motors and curved plastic impellers
Yeah, its a good pump. Like I said it will do for this year. I want to get it changed to something big over winter along with injectors. Then the turbo should be the limiting factor, which is also around as far as I trust the stock bottom end.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Just a small update for you guys. Starting with yesterday, my only goal was to just fire the damn car already. So I started with some of the wiring. I got my front distorbution block in place, landed the main power, and the starter. The rest of everything was just temped in place. Then I moved onto the coil packs, which are kind of a problem, but I just set them in place with some cheap stock wires to fire it. Then I ran and got more gas since it was pumping some air which I thought was weird. I think I had put 5 gallons in before. Anyway I got another 5 gallons and got it in the car. I turned on the power and was setting up the Holley and had to cycle it so I went to the back of the car...

Fucking great.

So I pulled off the return (already off in this pic) and pumped out as much as I could the long way round. Only got about 5 gallons, which explains why I was pumping air before. Got the tank pulled out, and found a small pin hole on the back/bottom of the tank. Must have grounded out there when I was welding the fittings and burned through a small spot. Super annoying. I patched it up, back in the car, and so far it seems to be holding. I really should have just done a fuel cell from the start. Also, ignore the mess, and I am planning on redoing that line/valve set up out of the tank. Anyway, it started and ran, and had oil pressure. So overall it was a success even though I wasnt all that thrilled about it.

After that I went and got a new alternator finally. I went with the 145 amp unit to make sure I have enough juice for fans, pumps, system, etc.

You can see the janky coil pack location for fire up :)

Moving on to today, I decided to just keep chipping away at the wiring and other small things.

So alternator is wired, starter is wired, main power to front of car is wired. I started on the wiring to the stock fuse box.

Fianlly got the right belt for the car (6th times a charm)

Just kind of cleaned some stuff up after that. Fixed my fan/radiator hose issue so I could get the radiator in. I also added insulation over the oil feed to the turbo, changed from the gauge (now that base pressure is set) to a pressure transducer for fuel, some other small things.

Then I moved everything around so I could get something done on the supra again. I clerenced the tunnel in the couple of areas that needed it, and swung the enginge and trans back in. It looks like it should be good to go now, so I can finally start making progress on that thing again!!

There is still so much to do to my car, but its getting very close. I am hoping by this weekend it can move under its own power for the first time in over 3 years! My main hangup is the damn coil packs/plug wires. It may look like there is plenty of room for them, but I assure you, there isnt. I am going to have to figure out some place inside the car. Once I do I can measure for plug wires and get those ordered. I also have some fab work to do still that I keep putting off.

Thats enough babbling for now. Hope you guys enjoy, and I hope to make it out to some stuff SOON!!!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Small victory, I figured out my coil packs. I actually went out to the garage yesterday and just started cleaning up some, then worked on the Supra a bit. Then for some reason I cant think of right now I took the intercooler off the SC. Then I was like wait a minute, this looks like it could work!!!

That is finally done! I ordered up some Firecore 50 wires today which should be here later this week.

Next up is routing that line and wiring of course. I started running it on the driverside already, but its just pulled through and way long right now.

Anyway, just a small update. The location of the coil packs has been a pain in my ass for a while now, so I am happy its sorted out.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
What a productive/eventful weekend! Probably not all that interesting, but here goes. Saturday was a LONG day to say the least. I got after it early and just worked on lots of tedious stuff. I did manage to figure out, and fabricate the new piece up to the trubo. One of those projects I have been putting off, which wasn't all that bad.

However it seemed like this was the weekend that everyone I know wanted to come by and hang out. So I did get side tracked a bit. A good example of getting side tracked...

Doesn't look as bad as it was, but thats down in a creek. My buddy took it for a spin with his daughter and decided to check out the un mowed field with 4' tall grass that he had never been in before. He was turning around and found the creek that boarders the one side and down they went. Both were OK, just a little banged up and shaken. Had to go do some recovery for a bit.

The good news is when he called me to come get him, he said come quick. And since he was on my ATV, I had to drive my truck most of the way back in there. I can now say I have taken it off road :)

That is my buddy (not the one who crashed) backing it back out of the trails while I was riding back the ATV.

Once that ordeal was over, I saw that I got some packages including my FireCore 50 plug wires :D So I figured since I had a few friends over, I may as well slap it together enough to fire it up for everyone. I ran it for about a minute which was nice. Then I started working out my temporary exhaust, more on that later. We eneded up going by the neighbors for a fire, but when we came back I finished up welding the "exhaust" before I called it a night.

Today I got back on wiring, and smaller tedious things. My neighbor voulenteered himself to help do the throttle cable last night, so he came by and started on that. He thought he was going to help hand the cable through. but he had to modify the pedal, make a bracket, etc. I gave him some guidance here and there, and also did the welding, but it turned out great and my pedal works perfect now. That was another project I was delaying :) While he was working on that I got the O2 bung in the exhaust, worked on wiring, got some stuff run etc. Its all pretty boring, and I only took a couple pics so here ya go.

Clearly there is still wiring work to be done. I do have some stuff wired to the relay packs, kind of to test them out. But right now I do have key on power to the ECU, the ECU is handling the fuel pump (but the wiring is run poorly), and the starter trigger is janky. I still need to wire the fans (wire on left) the trans cooler, trans brake, and so on. Most of what is left is smaller projects that are good for after work. I think I am going to be able to fully heat cycle the motor in the next couple of days. Then I should be able to move it back to the lift to deal with a few things under the car like a couple small leaks and some final wiring. Making it to the track day Friday seems like a bit of a strech, but I am not writing it off yet. I maybe will just come out and get some miles on the car, but we will see how the week goes.

BTW this is the only forum getting updates :D I really need to get videos edited up and posted. I just have been spending every second on the car for the last few months. Anyway thats all for now.

Pro Stock John

That LS1Tech guy
Reaction score
Wooo boy you did a lot of work on the car I can tell.

Apologies if you already answered this but what is your plan for your exhaust?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom