Broke EF Home Theater build

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Very nice. I have always wanted to find the best way to run wire more for networking a house without doing what you did, but it seems that is the best way to do it. :hs: Ohh well. My wife will hate me when we get a house and my mom can stick with wireless. HAHA.

I know your HTPC was started in 14 according to your link, but if you are storing everything and playing with Plex, why display the movies? That shelf space could be used for something else. Mine are still out, but Im still in a condo and they are all in a $50 Target bookshelf. :rofl: They will not be seen when we move since the space can be used to display other things IMO. Also, have you updated that at all? Prices for things have gone way down.

Gonna have to read up on Flexraid. I personally use unRAID, and another member here uses FreeNAS.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Very nice. I have always wanted to find the best way to run wire more for networking a house without doing what you did, but it seems that is the best way to do it. :hs: Ohh well. My wife will hate me when we get a house and my mom can stick with wireless. HAHA.

I know your HTPC was started in 14 according to your link, but if you are storing everything and playing with Plex, why display the movies? That shelf space could be used for something else. Mine are still out, but Im still in a condo and they are all in a $50 Target bookshelf. :rofl: They will not be seen when we move since the space can be used to display other things IMO. Also, have you updated that at all? Prices for things have gone way down.

Gonna have to read up on Flexraid. I personally use unRAID, and another member here uses FreeNAS.

Thanks! You can run wire a little less intrusively, but not much. Really depends on how the house is built, and where you are trying to run everything. Some runs are nice and easy others you may as well knock the wall down :) I figured if anything wasn't moving, it should be wired. Keep the wireless network more open for devices that have to be on it.

My movies are all on display for a few reasons. First up, those shelves were already there. I also watch the disc when I am watching in the basement. I only use Plex when I am not at home or if we are watching something in another room which is rare. I don't compress my rips at all but still prefer the disc. Last up I am not really sure what else we would put on those shelves. I do read a lot, but almost exclusively on a Kindle so no books to display up there. The wife has a ton of Bears memorabilia so I would assume it would get filled up with that stuff.

I have only added more storage since I built it. I had to replace/upgrade the solid state drive a while back. It turned out that I didn't have to go bigger, there was just a file that was not clearing itself and eating up space. I went to a 250 GB Samsung 850. Then I recently added another 3TB drive so now I have 10 TB of usable space. I haven't really had a need to upgrade it for my use. I have watched the performance while people were hitting it remotely, and even transcoding multiple HD streams it isn't working all that hard. My upload speed is more of a bottleneck than the hardware. I would like to build a new main computer, and then that would become the server. That one is older as well, but an i5, 32 GB of memory, and a 760 video card.

Flexraid has been pretty awesome. I think if I was starting from scratch I would go Unraid right now. I have seen a few videos of people using their software for some cool shit. Probably possible on Flexraid as well, but Unraid seems a lot more common/popular. I have to be careful talking this much about it because I will want to rebuild it all! I have a car to build :D

Sean

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
thanx for the motivation, pulled the trigger black friday on an Epson 5040UB.. decided not to wait for the finished drywall and get this basement party started :run: just waiting on the screen and some misc grunt work to get things situated.

8xYOIOP.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info