Movie Brightburn - James Gunn Superman origin story thing

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Why does it make him look like a bad guy?

Its not a Superman story. But rather ripping off the "Married couple find & adopt an Alien baby" trope which is iconic superman stuff.

The whole concept is basically a Horror Superman story it seems, but without any trademark stuff.

Married couple adopts alien baby? Check.
Married couple owns a farm? Check
Spaceship under barn floor? Check.
Kid can fly? Check
Kid goes on Murder spree? Wut?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Its not a Superman story. But rather ripping off the "Married couple find & adopt an Alien baby" trope which is iconic superman stuff.

The whole concept is basically a Horror Superman story it seems, but without any trademark stuff.

Married couple adopts alien baby? Check.
Married couple owns a farm? Check
Spaceship under barn floor? Check.
Kid can fly? Check
Kid goes on Murder spree? Wut?

Ahh, I didn't read your description at the top of the thread :rofl: Makes sense now, I thought it was THE Superman as a kid. :rofl:

Will see.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
okay think about it like this,

ever seen a 5 year old have a melt down at a walmart? now give the kid superman level of powers.
and then you have to think about the kids mind. most authority either derives from threat of punishment or protection. (dad's belt, mom not wanting you to electrocute yourself).
Imagine how this kid thinks then? nothing can hurt him.
What does he think of all of these soft little human things walking around him?
A slight offense? destroy it.
who are the good guys and bad guys? to a child isnt everyone "bad".

I recall this was sort of handled in the superman comics by him not reaching his full power for a few years because he had to soak up the sun's energy, he was still terrifying, but as strong as 5 men, not 500. (he lifted the back of a truck as a toddler, but did not have heat vision, x ray, cold blast breathe... etc etc)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
okay think about it like this,

ever seen a 5 year old have a melt down at a walmart? now give the kid superman level of powers.
and then you have to think about the kids mind. most authority either derives from threat of punishment or protection. (dad's belt, mom not wanting you to electrocute yourself).
Imagine how this kid thinks then? nothing can hurt him.
What does he think of all of these soft little human things walking around him?
A slight offense? destroy it.
who are the good guys and bad guys? to a child isnt everyone "bad".

I recall this was sort of handled in the superman comics by him not reaching his full power for a few years because he had to soak up the sun's energy, he was still terrifying, but as strong as 5 men, not 500. (he lifted the back of a truck as a toddler, but did not have heat vision, x ray, cold blast breathe... etc etc)

that is a good way for the comics to handle him maturing, cuz you are right for sure, superpower kid would just ruin everyone

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'd be surprised that someone with that kind of power would not abuse the shit out of it. I'm not talking about going around and murdering people, but basically just doing whatever the hell they wanted with no consequences.

Even if someone had all that power and was righteous, it would be so difficult to be a crime-stopper 24 hours a day. You'd get shit from everyone if you took a day off and something terrible happened that you could have prevented. The pressure would be intense.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info