đź“° Auto News BREAKING NEWS: GM kills High-performance Division

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090218/CARNEWS/902189973

General Motors, focusing on mainstream products in a battle to survive, has scrapped a unit that produced high-performance vehicles.

GM on Wednesday disbanded High Performance Vehicle Operations, which is based at the company's suburban Detroit technical center, and redeployed its engineers, spokesman Vince Muniga said.

"All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold," Muniga said. "The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."

The unit created low-volume vehicles for GM's divisions designed to appeal to enthusiasts and bolster the company's image. Products included V-series Cadillacs and the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and a V-8 version of the Colorado.

Muniga said there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming cars.

The move is in the spirit of GM's viability plan delivered to the U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday. In the plan, GM said its future-product focus is on fuel- efficient cars and crossovers. It also pledged to increase its current offering of six hybrids to 14 by 2012 and to 26 by 2014. GM also boosted its request for federal aid by as much as $16.6 billion.

The High Performance Vehicle Operations unit could be reinstated once GM regains its financial health, GM's Muniga said.

"These guys are pretty good at what they do," Muniga said, "They are moving into different areas to work on core products."

Last edited:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
GM reminds me of this gif

0020train20wreck.gif

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
WTF is GM going to make then? no more Grand Prix, GTO, G8, Cobalt SS, CTSV, didn't they ban the vette and camaro/ta also? Everything that would entice me is banned. Have fun selling aveo's and malibu's GM. Future purchases might be import, but they don't make anything good either. Gotta go euro.

Last edited:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
They're not going to stop making the SS Camaro, CTS-V or GXP G8 mid-production, it's just that any future development on something like a Z28 or other high-performance model has been put on hold.

You'll still be able to buy the current ones but don't expect a Cruze SS in the near future.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
By killing most of Pontiac and all of Saturn they will be getting rid of most badge engineering jobs that actually create internal competition, like the G6 and Aura are to the Malibu. This is supposed to help revenue towards the remaining brands, according to their plan.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
WTF is GM going to make then? no more Grand Prix, GTO, G8, Cobalt SS, CTSV, didn't they ban the vette and camaro/ta also? Everything that would entice me is banned. Have fun selling aveo's and malibu's GM. Future purchases might be import, but they don't make anything good either. Gotta go euro.

well the camaro comes out in like a month or two and the vette isnt going anywhere. the vette is rarely effected by anything since it acts as almost its own division

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
concentrate on crossovers? how about just making a car that doesnt suck? Lets see, i have 30K to burn.... do i buy an accord or an impala? is there even a choice? i mean the Tahoe/Suburban is great, the silverado is also an excellent truck, i dont think anybody would argue those facts.... but what the hell else does GM have? they really need to think of the future and those tiny SUV-esque crossovers have had their run and are going to fade into history. The malibu is a good start, but it isnt where it needs to be sales wise- and the impala is the biggest joke of a fullsized automobile i have ever seen. I simply cannot believe that somebody could test drive one of those and then hand somebody money to take it with them.... obviously luck on GM's part that those people are either too lazy or too closed minded to look at the competition. if you slapped one of those people in an Accord or (gulp) a camry, they would have to kick their own ass for buying the impala.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
concentrate on crossovers? how about just making a car that doesnt suck? Lets see, i have 30K to burn.... do i buy an accord or an impala? is there even a choice? i mean the Tahoe/Suburban is great, the silverado is also an excellent truck, i dont think anybody would argue those facts.... but what the hell else does GM have? they really need to think of the future and those tiny SUV-esque crossovers have had their run and are going to fade into history. The malibu is a good start, but it isnt where it needs to be sales wise- and the impala is the biggest joke of a fullsized automobile i have ever seen. I simply cannot believe that somebody could test drive one of those and then hand somebody money to take it with them.... obviously luck on GM's part that those people are either too lazy or too closed minded to look at the competition. if you slapped one of those people in an Accord or (gulp) a camry, they would have to kick their own ass for buying the impala.

u seem angry today.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007

well..

ive driven many 06+ impalas, a new generation camry, sat in an accord...

of all, i liked the looks of the camry most, the engine / trans options of the camry most , and the ride.. the camry most. The fact you can get a 3+L V6 with a 6spd manual is tits IMO. If Chevy thought things out more with the impala, it'd be a much better contender.

GM needs to seriously reconsider everything.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
another thing i cant stand about the camry... the actual emblem that says camry is crooked... if you look closely (and i have verified this with a straightedge) it does not follow any body line of the car, nor is it level to the ground... it doesnt follow the taillight either like it looks it may... basically its just on there crooked and i cant stand it

toyota_camry_xle_2008_exterior_rearview.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info