BREAKING - James Mad Dog Mattis "retiring"

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to have [MENTION=4746]Flyn[/MENTION] let us know how this is a good thing.... :s00ls:

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Seems like he disagreed with pulling the troops out of Syria based on the timing. I'm sad to see Mattis go, but I'd rather not continue to be the world's police and leave our troops in a shithole like Syria.

IZZy

Powered by ES
Reaction score
In all seriousness this is bad news, other than Nicky Haley probably the only good pick Trump made and now they are both gonna be gone, god help us when Trump puts a “yes man” as secretary of Defense

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
Seems like he disagreed with pulling the troops out of Syria based on the timing. I'm sad to see Mattis go, but I'd rather not continue to be the world's police and leave our troops in a shithole like Syria.
I agree with this

Need to get to a computer and catch up with all of this ASAP

N20GT

Reaction score
I need to do some actual research on the current situation in syria before forming a full opinion. Mattis is a strong secretary of defense, but he also seems like he's interested in forever occupying 3rd world nations in the middle east. I almost always support pulling troops out of the middle east...it's been nearly 20 years of failed foreign policy that was kicked off by Cheney and bush, time to stop building on their mistakes.

HOWEVER it's been a bad week for trump. No funding for the border wall, economy is cooling down, north korea says they won't denuclearize, and now he loses one of his strongest appointees.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Reaction score
Politics aside - it’s absolutely absurd how many people in this administration have left either by choice or firing. It’s hasn’t even been two years. Ridiculous.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Crickets.
I was showing a home today, writing a contract and getting the deal together. Also had to write notes and sign a couple hundred Christmas cards after I got home. Fingers too tired to type...

Mattis seemed to be the kind of guy we want in that job. No idea what Trump is doing other than playing politics.

Stupid 5D chess.

EDIT: Looks like we're going to pull up to half the 14,000 troops out of Afghanistan.

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score
Heres the over seas piece no one knows or rarely talks about.

Last mission I was on overseas was CRAM.

Counter Rocket Anti Mortar. Its basically a radar guided gatling gun to shoot down incomming before it has a chance to impact the base.

Anyways PRIOR to this administration all ROE (rules of engagment) was changed to only return fire when fired upon.

The ROE we had been following for years was so fucked up we were ALL sitting ducks.

I vowed to NEVER go overseas again (wearing a uniform, contractor maybe thats a different story) Id leave the military entirely even if it meant me not reaching my 20 minimum for retirement income down the road. Look at 37 (5 more to go) im "vested" so to say game over. Shit like this is exactly why im on 1 year at a time enlistments. I control when I get out in a very narrow window. Yes 1 year is a tight window. If we had to start training for an overseas mission a year out Id say see ya Im out. Unless they stop lossed my ass. If my current enlistment doesnt cover start date to end date I wouldnt be going period.

Anyways back to CRAM. Using the Radar Programs I had available while in Afghaistan I measured an impact round that was 60 feet from my bunk!

Not 60 feet from the Ops center office. Not 60 feet from the radar, not 60 feet from the gate. 60 feet from my living quarters. My living quarters were very close to a perimeter wall and technically thats pretty safe they'd need to shoot something huge through the wall or get a round to impact close to the exterior wall to hit them quarters. Anyways its far safer than living middle of the FOB that can be launched at from all sides.

After I measured the impact I tried, and tried and tried to get the asset managers to send a QRF out. A helo to locate where the round came from. The great part of radar is it triangulates POO of rockets or mortars. (Point of Origin) AKA launch point.

I could have gave the helos, or QRF, or hell even foot partols equipped with a fucking GPS the exact grid coordinates where the round was launched at. But because it didnt impact ON the base my requests to send out ANYONE with the exact pinpoint GPS coordinates was shot down.

That my friends is a FUCKED ROE strategy and I vow to NEVER make myself that vulnerable again. Mother fuckers damn near dropped a round on my bunk and my hands were tied to do a damn thing about it.

Thankfully they missed is the understatement of my life!!

Boots, Bullets, Firepower win wars!

No occupy and win hearts and minds screw that.

Wanna go to war fine well blow your shit all to hell and leave immediately.

Do it again. Well blow your shit all to hell 1 more again and leave immediately until you
A. Stop.
B. Run out of resources.
C. Die.

I bet they'd run out of AB or C before we run out of weaponry simple as that.

Go ahead. Remember shock and awe in Iraq? Well turn daylight to darkness for weeks!

Singing kumbia and winning hearts and minds Pfft GTFO outta here with that!! :gtfoslap:

So Im sad to see Mattis go and Im entirely confident with saying I bet his views on current ROE would be very similar to what I just explained. So because of the draw downs in Syria and Afghanistan he clearly doesnt agree with so hes bowing out. Fair enough.

Remember we created ISIS by leaving a vacuum in Iraq.

Hmm anyone want to bet same will happen if we quickly bail out of Syria and Afghanistan too!?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Jesus.

I got nothing except thank you very much for your service [MENTION=11785]98GrandPrixIraqVet[/MENTION]

N20GT

Reaction score
Remember we created ISIS by leaving a vacuum in Iraq.
Thank you for your service, but I disagree on this point. We created ISIS by invading iraq under false pretenses and toppling their government. Vacuum or not, that was going to create chaos. Forced regime change by an outside gvt never works...especially in a region that already hated our ideals even before we bombed the hell out of them for no reason.

We created an entire generation in the middle east that hated us, no longer had anything to work towards because their cities were ruined, and therefore were easy to recruit in to terrorist organizations. Al Qaeda was small potatoes compared to what's there now.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
Jesus.

I got nothing except thank you very much for your service [MENTION=11785]98GrandPrixIraqVet[/MENTION]
People form opinions on what they think is accurate info.
This dude is living it... and I bet the others who are in the service would be able to better explain certain things.

Fingers crossed "chaos" mentioned in the first few posts doesnt happen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom