• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Breaking hubs 3800 swap Fiero

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Anyone run into this? I have a guy who's here for training with me that has a 3800 swapped Fiero (not a blower engine.) It has broken probably about 4 hubs, he seems to think there may be wheel hop in the turns (it's a road race car.) Is there a more durable drop in hub for it? He's running a 5 speed J-body transmission behind it.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I follow a few Chump Car Fiero teams and never heard/read of this happening. If he hasn't already done so, have him check out Fiero.nl it's the largest Fiero forum I've seen and is full of lots of helpful people and info.

I do know it's hard to find a quality hub replacement given the age of the vehicle, it could be an issue of poor quality units perhaps?

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Does he mean something like this?

null-42.jpg

This happens when the axle nut is tightened down enough or there's not one at all. This happened to me from pushing my Fiero in/out of the garage with no axle and nut to put clamping tension on the hub. The proper torque spec is 200 ft/lbs if I recall correctly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mr_Roboto
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list