brakes, who knows about brake noise

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
My GXP is makin some nasty brake squeling noise, it is driving me crazy and I am not sure what I need to do. The stock pads were semi-metallic or something and they made insane amounts of break dust on the wheels. Before winter I bought ceramic pads from vatozone and I now notice that my breaks squeal and my rotors look like shit, not warped but they have groves. When I do a panic stop the noise will go away for about a day. Can I just turn the rotos and be ok? Do I need new rotors and pads? I would rather not put new rotors on because they are cross drilled 13" and some what expensive. So what do I need to do.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
My GXP is makin some nasty brake squeling noise, it is driving me crazy and I am not sure what I need to do. The stock pads were semi-metallic or something and they made insane amounts of break dust on the wheels. Before winter I bought ceramic pads from vatozone and I now notice that my breaks squeal and my rotors look like shit, not warped but they have groves. When I do a panic stop the noise will go away for about a day. Can I just turn the rotos and be ok? Do I need new rotors and pads? I would rather not put new rotors on because they are cross drilled 13" and some what expensive. So what do I need to do.

They just recently start squeeling, or have they been doing it the whole time?

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
A couple of things. First the ceramic pads like to be warm. The cross-drilled rotors may be keeping them too cool. With the cooler temps and grooves, The new pads may not have seated correctly.

Second, did the pads have a thin piece of metal on the backside when you installed them? Some pads have a thin metal plate to help eliminate squeeking some do not. The ones that do not require anti-squeek spray.

If the rotors have grooves in them then the rotors need to be re-faced or replaced. If not the next set of pads will wear faster. Many aftermarket brake pads that have a "Lifetime warranty" have a higher metal content and tend to wear-out rotors faster. So the semi-metallics you had before most likely wore the rotors down. The caliper slides also should be cleaned and lubed when you changed the brakes.

You may be able to get the rotors turned down and put on new pads to solve the problem. Just make sure whoever turns the rotors checks the chamfer of the cross-drilled holes. If its too shallow it will cause problems. They should chamfer the holes again or the rotors could develop cracks by the holes.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Last weekend I had the brakes a part and the pads still look great, the squeal tabs are not rubbing and the pads are wearing evenly. When I first leave the house in the morning they do not make noise but after i brake and they get warm they squeak mostly around 20-40 mph and if I am light on the pedal. If I press the brake a little more the moise goes away. Last weekend while they were apart I put on some anti squeal gel on the back of all the pads and it worked for a day. I am afraid that a shop will not want to turn the rotors becasue they are cross drilled. I also noticed that the groves in the rotor follow the holes in the rotor and that the holes are filles with brake material. They did nto squeal when I first installed the pads before winter and I am not sure when it exactly started making noise becuase I dont really hear it with the windows rolled up.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
If you suspect just a lot of brake dust in the holes and such is making the noise, Buy a can of Brake-Kleen spray. Take off the tires and just spray the rotors/pads/calipers clean. Try not to get it on the caliper slides as it will take the lube off. (or you could re-lube the caliper slides.)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
sounds like you need to get some good brakes....cross drilled rotors are bad - then tend to crack and cause more good then bad - get some slotted or just some plain rotors...then get some hawk or ebc street pads....not autozone....just my 2 cents...

:werd: Gonna ditch these slotted and drilled for napa premium blanks and EBC red stuff.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Another GXP owner here with brake noise. Pads all look good, and the rotors look equally as good. Makes noise when I'm lightly on the brakes. When i step on them a little harder, the noise goes away. If I panic stop, the noise goes away for a day or whatever.

Sounds like everybody else has the same fuckin problem.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I finally got around to doing a brake job on the car. No one would turn the front rotors bacause they were groved badly so I bought some stock replacements and new front pads. Installed everything, new shims, greased the backing of the pads, shims, and slide pins. I still had brake noise that I thought was coming from the front becasue of how bad the rotors looked. I then took the back brakes apart, the pads and rotors looked good. I greases and backing of the pads, shims, slide pins and the noise finally went away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info