• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Brake Rotor and Pad Recommendation for Fbody

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I'm running Hawk HPS pads right now and I cant really say I like them. They have good stopping power but they squeak like hell when they get hot in the summertime. I want something ceramic to avoid dust build up. I've heard good things about EBC redstuff? It sound like one of my rotors may be warped as well so I figure nows a good time to upgrade to something a little better than stock.

Anyone use something like this?
ProStop_Platinum_HC_Rotor_package.jpg

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/620848/01640

I like the anodized hubs because my winter tires our mounted on steelies and I hate when wheels and hubs fuse together after a long winter. Lastly if possible I'd like to buy from Advance Auto since I have a gift card there although they look pretty limited as far as brake components.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would be careful with ebc stuff. I was told by a few that some are truly for race only applications. They have a tendency to crack rotors under daily driving. The ones you have above are simply cheap pep boys rotors. If you are planning to only do daily driving go ahead. If you plan on drag racing, high speed stopping look elsewhere.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Ive never heard of EBC cracking rotors....

I ordered them while back when I had the gto. Rotors and the red ones I think. I got a call from Maryland speed performance asking me what I was using them for, I said daily driving and track once and a while, I was advised not to purchase them then as they are for track only applications. They actually steered me to the hawk pads for my specific driving at the time.

Maybe they were mistaken.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I would be careful with ebc stuff. I was told by a few that some are truly for race only applications. They have a tendency to crack rotors under daily driving. The ones you have above are simply cheap pep boys rotors. If you are planning to only do daily driving go ahead. If you plan on drag racing, high speed stopping look elsewhere.

• The higher carbon content make these rotors stronger resulting in reduced judder, noise and vibration in your brakes.
  • High carbon rotors distribute heat more evenly due to higher heat conductivity leading to better performance, longer brake pad and caliper life, and the elimination of potential warping related comebacks.

Marketing pitch maybe? They're $70 a pop vs the cheaper alternatives that are $40. :dunno:

Bad00ss

Rockford's Slow Junk
Apr 15, 2006
I have power slot rotors and hawk HPS on all 4 corners on my SS. I have never experienced the squeaking as mentioned above. The car stops way better than stock, I can tell you that. But these are the only pads/rotors I have ever tried other than the factory brakes when I got the car 13 years ago lol. Unsure if EBC stops better. I agree the brake dust is pretty bad with the hawks, but you will have that with a pad that is not ceramic material.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Call Sam Strano and buy their recommended brake kit. I think I put $500 into all 4 corners and ran them for 3 years at the track while the TA was the fastest it ever was.

People always asked how I stopped the car on the big end... I just told them "I use the brake pedal." :rofl:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Call Sam Strano and buy their recommended brake kit. I think I put $500 into all 4 corners and ran them for 3 years at the track while the TA was the fastest it ever was.

People always asked how I stopped the car on the big end... I just told them "I use the brake pedal." :rofl:

That's my plan this year. His upgraded brake package has coated rotors so the hats won't rust. I'd be cautious of "dust free" pads. Dust means they're working :rofl:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

There a website with this kit upgrade? I need better brakes for mine soon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info