Brake lines

JeffsLightning

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a place that can repair a brake line that's failed due to rust? It is the rear driverside. It's on my 95 Blazer that failed today so now I only have front brakes..

b4black

Reaction score
Shops will charge you big time.

I suggest getting a coil of NiCopp tubing and renting (free) a flare tool from Autozone or Advance. The NiCopp is super easy to bend by hand and super easy to flare.

And if you have one bad spot, check everywhere else. Auto manufacturers should be forced to recall (safety) cars not using corrosion resistant tubing in a country that uses tons of salt every winter.

v6buicks

Reaction score
Yeah, any good shop with their name attached to a brake line replacement is likely to use pre-bent stuff which is expensive yet not necessarily the best. The labor is going to be even worse.

LikeABauce302

Reaction score
Definitely get some nickel copper line, a small tubing bender, and a flaring tool. You can get away with using cheap bending and flaring tools with the nickel copper line.

Replacing brake lines isn't very difficult work. Just a little bit tedious. If the old brake line fittings are stubborn to come apart, heating them up with a small butane torch works wonders. A set of brake line wrenches would be helpful if you don't have them.

Intel

Reaction score
I would also say that upgrading to nicer brand brake line wrenches helped me a lot with rusty brake lines as the cheaply made ones tend to flex/open up and round off the fitting. Also make sure you put the fitting on before you make your flare ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom