• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Brake line leaking - Photos inside

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I noticed on my way to work today that my brakes seemed to get a bit squishy towards the end of my drive. On the way home, near the end of the drive, the car would inch forward after applying the breaks after a few seconds. As soon as I got home I took a look under the car and found that near the rear tire it was dripping brake fluid.

bb09b29.jpg

Dunno how the image flipped - Heres a direct link https://i.imgsafe.org/bb09b29.jpg

I'm going to call a few shops right now, but I would like to avoid driving it. Any suggestions?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like there is no room for a temporary or easy fix for an issue like this. I am going to take it to a shop in the morning and have it done right. Luckily it seems like when one line leaks, at least two of the other calipers will have moderate braking power so I can at least I can (very, very slowly) drive it down the street to a shop.

What would you estimate a repair like this would cost? I have been quoted anywhere from $175 for a simple fix, to over $700.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My 238k mile Chicago prelude still has all lines that look brand new, since they're smart enough to put a coating on them that keeps them from looking like that.

My Bonneville I got from KJ has (PO installed) stainless steel brake lines. SICK AF. My friend said that had to have cost him $1000+ to have done, and it was done properly. I personally would replace all of the lines, but if you have a shop just do that one line I'm 100% sure they're just going to zip tie that shit in place and do a shitty job. Unless they're charging you $700+.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My 238k mile Chicago prelude still has all lines that look brand new, since they're smart enough to put a coating on them that keeps them from looking like that.

My Bonneville I got from KJ has (PO installed) stainless steel brake lines. SICK AF. My friend said that had to have cost him $1000+ to have done, and it was done properly. I personally would replace all of the lines, but if you have a shop just do that one line I'm 100% sure they're just going to zip tie that shit in place and do a shitty job. Unless they're charging you $700+.

do you still have that bonnie?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
do you still have that bonnie?

Sold it a couple weeks ago, but I see it every day.

I would definitely 100% pull a motor/trans out of a wbody before I'd do those brake lines. It was my first time and I had a turbo kit on the car and it still only took me ~4hrs to have everything out. That brake line job if done properly will take a few days and it WILL be a bitch. Parts are likely $60-$100, labor will be 6-10x that amount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info