Brake line leaking - Photos inside

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I noticed on my way to work today that my brakes seemed to get a bit squishy towards the end of my drive. On the way home, near the end of the drive, the car would inch forward after applying the breaks after a few seconds. As soon as I got home I took a look under the car and found that near the rear tire it was dripping brake fluid.

Dunno how the image flipped - Heres a direct link https://i.imgsafe.org/bb09b29.jpg

I'm going to call a few shops right now, but I would like to avoid driving it. Any suggestions?

P40E

Reaction score
Youre probably going to crack the others fixing one. Hopefully not

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I took a closer look at it. I dont think its the nut, actually right behind it looks like its cracked right through the line.

P40E

Reaction score
Do not flare on rusted lines .

MS3Josh

Reaction score
Not going to be cheap to fix, I've been doing a ton of brake lines lately. From the looks youll need lines run from front to back, or atleast to that point.

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
You will probably have to replace all of the hard lines. It would be a good idea to replace the soft lines too. Those are probably dry rotted if your hard lines have that much corrosion.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like there is no room for a temporary or easy fix for an issue like this. I am going to take it to a shop in the morning and have it done right. Luckily it seems like when one line leaks, at least two of the other calipers will have moderate braking power so I can at least I can (very, very slowly) drive it down the street to a shop.

What would you estimate a repair like this would cost? I have been quoted anywhere from $175 for a simple fix, to over $700.

MS3Josh

Reaction score
For just front to rear lines I would guess around $300-500. But every shop has a different hourly rate, and since there is no book time for brake lines someplaces might quote you for more labor than they should because they can get away with it. They shouldn't charge you anymore than 3-4 hours.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Like I said in texts, its a huge can of worms when you get into it. and it's probably every single persons least favorite job to do, including mine. Hopefully a shop wont rape you.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
id rather do brake lines all day than have to pull a trans on a wbody.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Brake lines are tedious. Trans pull is just work.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
How many w-body engine and trans have you pulled?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
just here to thank 5-years-ago-me for buying this Regal from the west coast. These lines are still nice and silvery.

Hope a shop is decent to you, bro!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
My 238k mile Chicago prelude still has all lines that look brand new, since they're smart enough to put a coating on them that keeps them from looking like that.

My Bonneville I got from KJ has (PO installed) stainless steel brake lines. SICK AF. My friend said that had to have cost him $1000+ to have done, and it was done properly. I personally would replace all of the lines, but if you have a shop just do that one line I'm 100% sure they're just going to zip tie that shit in place and do a shitty job. Unless they're charging you $700+.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
My 238k mile Chicago prelude still has all lines that look brand new, since they're smart enough to put a coating on them that keeps them from looking like that.

My Bonneville I got from KJ has (PO installed) stainless steel brake lines. SICK AF. My friend said that had to have cost him $1000+ to have done, and it was done properly. I personally would replace all of the lines, but if you have a shop just do that one line I'm 100% sure they're just going to zip tie that shit in place and do a shitty job. Unless they're charging you $700+.
do you still have that bonnie?

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
do you still have that bonnie?
Sold it a couple weeks ago, but I see it every day.

I would definitely 100% pull a motor/trans out of a wbody before I'd do those brake lines. It was my first time and I had a turbo kit on the car and it still only took me ~4hrs to have everything out. That brake line job if done properly will take a few days and it WILL be a bitch. Parts are likely $60-$100, labor will be 6-10x that amount.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
can you guys come and pull the engine on my car then i don't feel like it.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Bring it to my house and i'll have it out in 2 hours. while drinking beer

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah but i want it to go back in nicely and be functioning soon thereafter.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
It's easier to pull a 3800 out of a grand prix than pull a motor out of a Prelude. Very easy job to do. Why do you want to pull it out?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
to fix the bag-of-bolts-poured-into-an-m90 sound my car has at idle currently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom