• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Brake Advice/Suggestions

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
The time has come for new pads and rotors(or so I think.) My car has 20K miles on it and I still think she's got the same shit from when she rolled off the showroom floor. Last summer I had the front rotors resurfaced. Took out the vibration under hard braking but I didn't replace the pads.

Of course I'd like to upgrade to some slotted rotors and hawk pads but I don't wanna shell out the cash. What would a set of stock replacements cost? I called autzone and all they had were the Baer big brake kits. Any ideas guys?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Stock Brembo replacement rotors for the front are about $60 to $65 each.

Stock pads are about $80.

In my opinion, you'd be better off sticking with the stock pads for street use. I have a set of the Hawk HPS pads and they are not as good as the stock pads. They have a weak initial bite, require more pedal force to stop and fade much quicker than the stockers did.

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
The time has come for new pads and rotors(or so I think.) My car has 20K miles on it and I still think she's got the same shit from when she rolled off the showroom floor. Last summer I had the front rotors resurfaced. Took out the vibration under hard braking but I didn't replace the pads.

Of course I'd like to upgrade to some slotted rotors and hawk pads but I don't wanna shell out the cash. What would a set of stock replacements cost? I called autzone and all they had were the Baer big brake kits. Any ideas guys?

Go with the stock pads unless the car see's allot of track use. The Hawk pads will drive you crazy with the squealing noise until they are heated up. Stock pads IMO work best on the street.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
+1 subscribing here...keep the opinions coming

My stock pads are squealing now (indicator strip contacting the rotor), and looking at them they have chewed the hell out of my rotors. Has anyone else seen this? I'm thinking they are more aggressive than the Hawk HPS pads that I planned on replacing them with. I thought the Hawks were OK with the Lightning, does anyone NOT like them better than stock with the Cobra? Plus, they dust a lot, much more than the Hawks did on my L.

If anyone has seen their rotors chewed by the stock pads, did you successfully resurface them or just replace? I'd hate to have to do a bearing job on this already. Only 13K miles.

I was also looking at the EBC Red Stuff pads, but they're a little more expensive than the Hawks. Anyone running them? I'm talking street use here.

FYI, www.raceshopper.com has the best prices on Hawk pads.

03-04 Cobra Front HB111F.610 $83 Rear HB183F.585 $56

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I'm in the same boat as you guys...

I replaced my original rotors with slotted and cross drilled and they looked damn mean, but that is all really... I replaced the rear pads with ceramic ones from Murrays, and they have done a good job. The fronts are what came with the rotors and held up, but are going bye-bye.

Now I will be going with Brembo from www.tirerack.com, best price I think and good rotors.

I, who do see the track quite a bit, will probably still stay with the stock pads up front, or pick up the same ceramic ones to see how they do.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Stock Brembo replacement rotors for the front are about $60 to $65 each.

Stock pads are about $80.

In my opinion, you'd be better off sticking with the stock pads for street use. I have a set of the Hawk HPS pads and they are not as good as the stock pads. They have a weak initial bite, require more pedal force to stop and fade much quicker than the stockers did.

Where can i score these?

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I may take the Hawk pads off you if you want to go with something else. PM me. I need rears real bad.

Has anyone ever tried the ATE funky rotors on tirerack? I use ATE fluid, but never heard of their other products. For $25, I may just pick them up instead of trying to resurface the stockers. I think the pads really chewed the hell out of my rears.

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
i couldnt get the brembo replacement rear rotors through tire rack. they had to be backordered so i just got the fronts.

anyone know of another place?

i bought hawk hps pads but have yet to put em on. i think i might just go with them instead of going through the hasstle to return them.

Make certain you follow the break in instructions to the letter. I installed those along with the $900 worth of Baer rotors front and back. Ended up tossing the Hawk HPS pads and went with the Cobra stock pads instead.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I replaced my stock pads with Hawk HPS pads. I also 'cut' all of the rotors. IMO, drilled and or slotted rotors are only for the look factor and have a easyer chance of getting a pulsation from less surface area. I saw a little improvement in brakeing with the Hawk pads. I also competely flushed the brake system with "z rated" DOT 3 brake fluid. It is pretty expensice $10/pint but is worth IMO. You can get the stuff from Bear Brakes.

Kevin

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Where can i score these?

I got mine from the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com).

The last time I got rotors, I decided to try the cryo-treated Brembo's that Tire Rack has. So far, they've taken a beating at the track and are still perfect.

But unless you do a lot of on-track driving, they probably aren't worth the extra dough over the stock rotors.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
How long do the originals normally last? I have 37K on mine and it looks like I have about 1/8" from the backing plate to the disk on the rears, I think it's time.

Does anyone know where to get a good price on OEM pads?

Thanks

I always replace the stock stuff. If anyone comes up with a pad that doesn't give off as much dust I'll consider it, but for me the stock stuff is best. Look on ModularFords for an add from??? I think it's Townsley Ford? Not sure but they guaranty 10% over cost on all Ford parts.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Guys,

TireRack for street performance has Brembo pads for $69 for the front and Hawk HPS pads for $63 for the rear. Anyone see any problems with this combo? Since my rotors look good I'll plan on changing them next time.

p.s. haven't found a Ford price.

Thanks

That looks like the route i'm going to go. Getting the rotors from Buybrakes.com and they same pad setup from tirerack.com

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Something else to think about. On my last brake job the guy called me to tell that I had Rear GT rotors NOT Cobra rotors and so I let him sell me an off brand just as good as apposed to HIS Ford OEM replacement cost, BUT, the OTHER rotor wasn't painted in the center and would look like shit as soon as it rusts, I ended up painting them myself, and yes you can tell. At least the FORD rotors are painted and look nicer longer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info