• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Brake Advice/Suggestions

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
I bought the brembo replacement rotors from tire rack, couldn't beat their price at the time.

I tried the Hawk HPS pads the first time and they were horribly dusty and noisey.

I replaced them with the EBC greenstuff pads.

EBC Greenstuff are too light for us, I've heard of people using the Redstuff though.

No problems with mine so far (other than having to paint over that horrid green color.)

BIGONTS

Addict
May 23, 2005
Stock rotors work the best in my opinion. The cross drilled and slotted ones are more for looks unless you spend the big bucks on the real stuff. I replaced my pads with EBC Greenstuff and the brakes are better and there's less dust. Totally recommed the pads over stock. I also did the steel front brake lines with good synthetic fluid and flush.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I wish I could get the pads that on the front of my Tahoe. NO DUST, massive stopping power, although NOT like a sports car, but definately able to stop me and whatever I'm towing very well.
Maybe those EBC Green pads are like that? I may try them next since I HATE BRAKE DUSTED WHEELS.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Stock rotors work the best in my opinion. The cross drilled and slotted ones are more for looks unless you spend the big bucks on the real stuff. I replaced my pads with EBC Greenstuff and the brakes are better and there's less dust. Totally recommed the pads over stock. I also did the steel front brake lines with good synthetic fluid and flush.

How can we be in the same town and I have NO CLUE where you are or ever seen your car? What did I piss you off in rant on here or something?
I hate to think you're the guy at the end of my block? He has a blue 65, but I've never seen a Cobra there. C'mon stick yer head out of the weeds and tell me where you are. Maybe we can hunt Vettes together some night here on my favorite race track, or haul our asses out to Angostinos, Streets, etc., It's to bad most of the guys live up north there but the ride out would be better with another car.
Dennis

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
From the EBC website:

EBC Greenstuff Description said:
Premium street sport pad for cars up to 200bhp. General spirited street driving.

Designed for premium street driving offering better brake effect up to 600°C (1100°F). EBC Greenstuff has a high initial brake effect and gives drivers confidence from first application of the brake pedal. There is no such thing as a NO DUST pad. The very nature of how a brake works requires that some dust be generated to avoid rotor vibration (shimmying). The EBC pad creates less dust and dust is more easily washed off than most. All pads create more dust as they are bedding in especially if rotors are worn. Nominal friction coefficient 0.55. For heavier faster cars and vehicles above 200bhp we strongly recommend Redstuff which DOES offer much less dust.

My dad buys them for his Z350 and loves them. But I wondered why I couldn't find a listing for them for the Cobra and this is apparently why.

A lot of people have commented on the lack of initial bite with the Hawk HPS. I remember with the Lightning, the stock pads were a little weak and dusted all to hell. The Hawks lacked initial bite, but far outperformed the stockers when warm. A couple of Lightning track people recommended dragging the brakes a little when you start up to get them to operating temperature. I agreed with this once I started using them. They definitely outperformed the stockers and actually dusted less. With the Cobra, I think the stock pads are much more aggressive than the Lightning's stockers (since they are chewing the hell out of my rotors), but the dust is excessive.

I think it almost boils down to a matter of opinion on feel and performance (and driving style), but I like to hear all of the different opinions anyway.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Deal: D'Agostino Racing has a package with Russel 4-line SS Brake Lines AND a full set of front and rear Hawk HPS pads for $260. That's a steal. Add a SLP line lock and I am set for brakes for the moment.

Plus I just found out that the rotors don't have the bearings built-in. I was worried about having to do a bearing job when replacing them. BAM!

Who else is drinking tonight?

BIGONTS

Addict
May 23, 2005
How can we be in the same town and I have NO CLUE where you are or ever seen your car? What did I piss you off in rant on here or something?
I hate to think you're the guy at the end of my block? He has a blue 65, but I've never seen a Cobra there. C'mon stick yer head out of the weeds and tell me where you are. Maybe we can hunt Vettes together some night here on my favorite race track, or haul our asses out to Angostinos, Streets, etc., It's to bad most of the guys live up north there but the ride out would be better with another car.
Dennis

No, you didn't do anything like that. Just kind of busy and just moved in about 4-5 weeks ago. I had the house for over a half a year remodeling it, so I wasn't driving the Cobra out there much, just the beater. I'm a block west off of 90th, 81st Ave, and Roberts Road. Where you at? I'm driving it a lot more now and I'm sure we'll run into each other. I might have seen you last year on 95th St.? Yeah, we'll definitely have to take a cruise and whip some ass. A lot of people show up at the Pizza Hut/Aldi on 79th and Harlem on Tues nights, but I haven't got a chance to hang out there this year. Yesterday was packed when I drove by around 7.

Emil

Regular
May 1, 2004
Finally put my pads on the rear. The rear pads had about 1/8" left so they had a bit to go but I changed them anyway. I went to the front and to my surprise they had at least 3/8" left! I decided to leave them on and if I didn't like the balance I could change them later. So far so good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info