🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Since the car was out of the garage, I figured after ~15 years it was time for an epoxy refresh...

half of the 1st coat done. You can to see how much 15 years of wear had been. Mind you none of the actual epoxy was damaged, just stained and a couple of rubber tire marks layed down there. :D
20210710_202758.jpg

Reactions: v6buicks

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Yet another product of "this house was made cheaply, as quickly, as possible. Replaced the double bowl sink we put in when we moved in with a nicer single bowl sink and removable/rotatable head. The hole for the sink is JUUUUUST small enough to fit the sink and barely have some overhang along with the hole is cut off-center so the one side of the new bowl is butted up against the cabinet wall underneath.

When we were at HD buying it, we looked at the butcherblock counter tops they have and they're decently priced for what they are. Megan made a comment "we paint it black?" bitchareyouretarded?.gif

We get home and AFTER the silicon set and AFTER I snugged up the plumbing and AFTER we put everything back under the sink, AFFTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRR I've already suffered with making this work with the cramped space and shoddy construction, she goes, "well why didn't you just buy new counter tops if this was such a headache?"

why dont i put your fucking head through this counter?

So anyway. nudes:

View attachment 94265

View attachment 94266

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Yet another product of "this house was made cheaply, as quickly, as possible. Replaced the double bowl sink we put in when we moved in with a nicer single bowl sink and removable/rotatable head. The hole for the sink is JUUUUUST small enough to fit the sink and barely have some overhang along with the hole is cut off-center so the one side of the new bowl is butted up against the cabinet wall underneath.

When we were at HD buying it, we looked at the butcherblock counter tops they have and they're decently priced for what they are. Megan made a comment "we paint it black?" bitchareyouretarded?.gif

We get home and AFTER the silicon set and AFTER I snugged up the plumbing and AFTER we put everything back under the sink, AFFTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRR I've already suffered with making this work with the cramped space and shoddy construction, she goes, "well why didn't you just buy new counter tops if this was such a headache?"

So anyway. nudes:

View attachment 94265

View attachment 94266
Aside from all the issues getting it in, how are you liking the new sink? I had to talk my fiancee into it but I think she's down with a single bowl sink vs double.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
20210702_203356.jpg
20210702_190335.jpg

Fucking hate carpentry.

But I've done this entire thing myself.
Nice work dude, but have a few ?'s.
Board that the ladder is attached to. Is that going over one of the top rails on the pool?
If so, not a good idea as you will eventually be replacing that liner some time down the road.
Why so many posts, looks like overkill?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Aside from all the issues getting it in, how are you liking the new sink? I had to talk my fiancee into it but I think she's down with a single bowl sink vs double.
I mean it's a sink. :rofl: I actually love the new faucet and I swapped out the regulator from the 1.8gpm to 2.2 gpm adapter. Whether it needed it, I have no idea but the water pressure is great.

I'm mainly excited for the fact I'll be able to get a 5gal bucket or larger container in there if I need hot water vs trying to shove a mop pail in there to transfer to another bucket. :rofl: It's the simple things.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
This looks great. I have been curious on epoxy for garage floor but you always hear about it not lasting due to tire heat. What did you go with that lasted 15 years!?

This is what I used then and what I used now (the one in the picture is Slate Gray which is darker. Mine is the Silver Grey).

I will say, I think they may have changed the formula a little. It didn't seem to go on as "thick" as it did back 15 years ago. It didn't want to seem to cover up shit as easily on the first pass. Maybe it's just fuzzy memory too.

Back then, I started with the Rust-O-Leum kit you can get anywhere. While I won't say that kit is garbage, it didn't work well for me. After doing it, it pulled up/tore up, especially in tire areas. It did not like when damp tires would come in, then the next morning, would peel. I did all the prep work beyond what most would do. I acid etched the shit out of it even using a floor machine, sanded down really rough parts, washed, rinse, lather, repeat. Let it sit about 2 weeks before even laying on the first coat of Rust-O-Leum's epoxy.

The next spring, I re-did it with the Behr stuff, I again cleaned the shit out of it, sanded down the peeled areas, rinsed, lathered, repeated... Then layed the Behr stuff down. I think I did 4 layers in of it. And that's the wear you see in the first picture, 15 years later. Again, nothing was actually "damaged" Just stains from tires, the park-stops I use, the dirty wheels along that edge from the mowers and snow blower, etc...

Reactions: blue-sun

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Nice work dude, but have a few ?'s.
Board that the ladder is attached to. Is that going over one of the top rails on the pool?
If so, not a good idea as you will eventually be replacing that liner some time down the road.
Why so many posts, looks like overkill?
Yes few boards going over rails.

Triple coated deck screws. Come out with ease. Used them on the fence and 7 years later came out perfect.

So many posts I don't know. Menards built design. My first deck. Wasn't going to tweak the plans. It is what it be

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

So anyway. nudes:

View attachment 94265

View attachment 94266

i had that sink i think two houses ago, deep strainer basket? i liked it

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Just finished ripping up the shit linoleum tile job my inlaw did. Fuckin eh, gonna hire someone to fix this shit for real this time. What a fucking mess, I have a bit of clean up to do in the AM but it's almost done now thankfully. He didn't know anything about the glue so it never really dried which worked in my favor. Apparently you need to expose tile glue to oxygen or it will take a month to dry. It had been down for a week and I could still just wipe the glue away except at the seams.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Ok, rethinking my depth for these posts. Going to be a 4' shadowbox (started with doing a 6' shadowbox so that's why I'm stuck on 48" deep) but I don't want to be a cheap fuck like some of these people around my house with shallow posts and their fences are all warped and fucked up. Maybe I only need to go 24" deep. This thing is literally just to keep the dogs and spawn in the backyard so I don't have to worry about them fucking off after a person or squirrel (both have happened) and don't have to watch Owen like a hawk because he decides to run into the front yard.

And yes, concrete is a requirement.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Ok, rethinking my depth for these posts. Going to be a 4' shadowbox (started with doing a 6' shadowbox so that's why I'm stuck on 48" deep) but I don't want to be a cheap fuck like some of these people around my house with shallow posts and their fences are all warped and fucked up. Maybe I only need to go 24" deep. This thing is literally just to keep the dogs and spawn in the backyard so I don't have to worry about them fucking off after a person or squirrel (both have happened) and don't have to watch Owen like a hawk because he decides to run into the front yard.

And yes, concrete is a requirement.

You still want to go below the frost line so it doesnt heave.... A 4 foot fence will definitely catch less wind so you shouldnt have much movement from that, but you still need to worry about posts heaving.

Reactions: m_dogg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Yeah that's what I'm thinking and took that into account from the start. Frost line is 36" for us and I'd like to go deeper (and what I'm reading, is recommended anyway) to really cement these fucking things and never have to worry about the posts (compared to the rest, rails and pickets). Pickets I couldn't care less about replacing because it's just nails and pull one off, nail a new one on. Big deal.

Thread Info