🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Many of us here are DIY people, and here is a master thread to brag, or complain about projects you've done, are working on, or repairs and such that the "normal" person would call in a professional for.

I will start out with a story from Friday night (two days ago). I get home from work about 9pm and notic the house is a little cold. The furnace was running, so I walked over the the closest vent, and felt the cold ait blowing out :fu: . So being the fix it myself type of person, I pull the cover off the furnace to diagnose my no-flame issue. Took out two seconds to spot the pieces of my hsi sitting on the bottom of the furnace. So now its 9:20pm on a Friday and I need an HVAC part, do I call a emergency service company? Fuck no, I spend an hour calling places and find a place on the south side that the owner is willing to stay open for me to drive out. This place wasnt in the worst part of town, but not nearly the best, the shop owner stayed to make sure me and the wife got.back to the car without getting mugged, lol...Get home around 12:45 pm, throw the new HSI in the furnace and BAM, I got heat :fy:

Here is the culprit:
IMAG0138.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Good stuff, guys!

My project for today: Pork Shoulder

What am I doing right now? The pork shoulder has been rubbed and in the fridge since last night. Now, it's injection time:

Attachments

• 2013-01-21_04-46-54_521 resize.jpg
    2013-01-21_04-46-54_521 resize.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 567
  • 2013-01-21_04-47-23_404 resize.jpg
    2013-01-21_04-47-23_404 resize.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 560
  • 2013-01-21_04-51-09_205 resize.jpg
    2013-01-21_04-51-09_205 resize.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 576

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I tore out and replaced with Anderson Windows all 20 something windows in our house. Also tore out thee sliding doors and replaced with Anderson sliding doors too. I saved many many thousands of dollars. And I know for a fact I did a much better job than some toolbag who can care less. I'm a perfectionists when it comes to my many home projects and anything else I do.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
:likes: this thread.

Started looking at homes this weekend, many of which will need work. We saw one yesterday and were seeing it again today. One owner home! It'll need a kitchen/dining room update. Untouched basement and an attic for another 2 bedrooms in the future.

Willsmysticobra, what did that kitchen cost you?

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
Wish this thread was here about a year ago, lol. Too much to list. Foreclosed house that now looks amazing :) Bernie is putting some finishing touches on a kitchen light fixture, and we still have more to go. Our main floor powder room still without facilities and our basement is next. Stay tuned.

Good thread!!

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Last year, one of the tabs on the Diaper Genie broke. It made it impossible to use the foot thingy to open the top. I took it apart, flipped one of the 'jaws', and now it works.

I bet any guy that has used one, has had a wife stuff that thing to capacity and break one of the pieces.

I saved myself a whopping $30 to replace it.

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
Last year, one of the tabs on the Diaper Genie broke. It made it impossible to use the foot thingy to open the top. I took it apart, flipped one of the 'jaws', and now it works.

I bet any guy that has used one, has had a wife stuff that thing to capacity and break one of the pieces.

I saved myself a whopping $30 to replace it.

Sorry, that made me lol. Diaper sausages, right?? I call it all the left over grocery bags and ziploc sandwich bags for bad ones.

Had a Diaper Genie for child #1 and it was a major PITA! Wised up and used doggie bags for baby #2, too $$$, now it's leftover grocery plastic bags.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Sorry, that made me lol. Diaper sausages, right?? I call it all the left over grocery bags and ziploc sandwich bags for bad ones.

Had a Diaper Genie for child #1 and it was a major PITA! Wised up and used doggie bags for baby #2, too $$$, now it's leftover grocery plastic bags.

Same here... 1st kid diaper genie, the second kid we stock piled grocery bags and used those

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
Same here... 1st kid diaper genie, the second kid we stock piled grocery bags and used those

Lol, forgot to add baby#3 for that matter. You kinda wise up after all the $$ you spend on all the gadgets that are "supposed" to make your life easier. It's all good though :) We all do it and we all go through it!! Think it's some right of passage.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I do get sick of spending money on the refills. Once we get into a house, I think we'll just keep a trash can outside for all the diapers. Right now, we're in a condo and don't have outside storage space.

Another thing I hate about the refills is that sometimes there is leftover 'roll' when you get to the end. It is not enough to really start a new section and it's just wasteful.

Now that I've gayed up this thread...

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Damn, you guys are good. I don't know enough, nor do I have the patience to do home renovation stuff like that. Kudos to you guys.

Cars is a different story tho. One of the bits I'm most proud of from my engine swap project is the wiring harness. I had to marry the primary car-to-engine plug of my car to the L67 wiring harness. I sat down with the full factory manuals for the 91 GP and the 98 GP and spent about 40 hours tracing the schematics for both cars to find out where they would eventually meet. End result was a perfectly running engine on the first try and identified a few pinout mistakes in the factory manuals.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
:likes: this thread.

Started looking at homes this weekend, many of which will need work. We saw one yesterday and were seeing it again today. One owner home! It'll need a kitchen/dining room update. Untouched basement and an attic for another 2 bedrooms in the future.

Willsmysticobra, what did that kitchen cost you?

Got the cabinets used , the counters are faux granite, main expense was the ceramic tile... I think im in less that 600-$750 all in all in kitchen supplies and materials.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Was sick of my bedroom being freezing cold in the winter, so I decided to fix it....

Gutted the walls....
guttedwalls-Copy_zpsb16cab7b.jpg

3.5" of closed cell foam sprayed in instead of fiberglass:
sprayedin_zps0bb0f04c.jpg

Re-hung sheetrock:
sheetrocked_zps34a41e17.jpg

Mud & tape:
mudandtape-Copy_zps5a32b010.jpg

Primed and painted to finish:
allpainted-Copy_zps4107b31d.jpg

I also at the same time re-did the electrical in the attic to put a fan in the room. Whoever previously did the electrical in my house was a total hack.

I'm in the middle of a complete gut and refinish of my parents basement that I'll get some pictures of later....

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Since this is a "bragging" thread, I wish smell-o-vision was incorporated into the site so you guys could smell what's cooking on my grill. Rubbed and injected pork shoulder. With the windows and patio door open, the entire house smells mouth watering good.

Pork shoulder is 6 1/2 hours into the cook. I just sprayed the meat with apple juice and snapped a quick pick. Temp. is 160*. Has to get to 195*.

Attachments

• 2013-01-21_14-08-18_115 resize.jpg
    2013-01-21_14-08-18_115 resize.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 457

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
BADASSTEALCOBRA, WOULD YOU SAY THAT CLOSED CELL INSULATION WAS WORTH IT? I WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT AT SOME POINT

Night and day difference.

Zero drafts from anywhere along the walls, and instead of a standard R-13 rating for 3.5" fiberglass I end up with right around an R-23 in the same cavity. When you touch the walls now, the sheet rock is room temp everywhere except where the studs are because they don't even have the same R-value as the insulation.

The only real "downside" is that you will want to plan ahead and make sure anything you might need is behind the walls because you're not fishing anything through them once they're sprayed.

We just finished spraying my parents basement (i'll get pics up of that huge job later) and the basement used to always be freezing, and now it's the warmest room in the house.

Thread Info