🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Finished stone tonight on the fireplace, took way longer then I expected. Just little touch ups left now. Need to find a new fireplace door also.

I want to change the outlet in the mantel from white to a dark brown and mount the TV on the wall above. I installed a PVC pipe in the right pillar that goes under the floor so I can run wires to a media center cabinet that will be wall mounted.

20190628_234616_1.jpeg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The "latest purchase" thread made me think of this thread.

Purchased some engineered hardwood flooring to start redoing my 2nd floor of the house. The carpet is disgusting and Duke made very short work of stinking the place up with his toxic piss when he was a puppy.

Doing Heritage Mills Oak Golden floor in the second room (nursery) and the hallway/stair landing. Will eventually get the master bedroom and the 3rd bedroom done but need to start somewhere.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Heritag...dwood-Flooring-31-sq-ft-case-PF9738/206021875

Started ripping up the carpet and promptly realized I have exactly a million and a half staples I'm going to have to pull up from the carpet underlayment. :roflpicard:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Purchased some engineered hardwood flooring to start redoing my 2nd floor of the house. The carpet is disgusting and Duke made very short work of stinking the place up with his toxic piss when he was a puppy.

Doing Heritage Mills Oak Golden floor in the second room (nursery) and the hallway/stair landing. Will eventually get the master bedroom and the 3rd bedroom done but need to start somewhere.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Heritag...dwood-Flooring-31-sq-ft-case-PF9738/206021875

Started ripping up the carpet and promptly realized I have exactly a million and a half staples I'm going to have to pull up from the carpet underlayment. :roflpicard:
The carpet Staples are the worse. I had a ton to do downstairs but they used nails into concrete... Pain in the ass

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I'll be ripping up all the engineered hardwood in my house eventually and doing vinyl plank. Love the look and feel of the engineered hardwood but it buckled and swelled when I had the water line to the spigot rupture over winter.

Luckily my pipes are central to the house with the only run going to the upstairs bathroom. So if I have a leak, I have MUCH worse issues than just flooring. :rofl:

The downstairs will 100% be vinyl "hardwood" whenever I get around to it. I just wanted (and needed) to get rid of the carpet first.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Luckily my pipes are central to the house with the only run going to the upstairs bathroom. So if I have a leak, I have MUCH worse issues than just flooring. :rofl:

The downstairs will 100% be vinyl "hardwood" whenever I get around to it. I just wanted (and needed) to get rid of the carpet first.

Im just exhausted with fixing shit around my house, and want to eventually be done so I can just do nothing. Never seems to happen.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia

Two options. 1/4" plywood over the top or

husky-specialty-screwdrivers-h4tack-64_1000.jpg

&

milwaukee-locking-pliers-48-22-3602-64_1000.jpg

Both suck. Vise grips for pulling these fuckers are a game changer though. Lock in and use the curved part to roll it out on the subfloor.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Bought a face cord of firewood and had nowhere to put it. Found this cheap idea on the internets and threw it together yesterday:

DUt8Hxd.jpg

xZpJDt7.jpg

cAC5DV3.jpg

3 cinder blocks, two 2x4s cut in half, and two old landscaping timbers I had already. $11 total. I should have bought new timbers or 4x4s for the bottom pieces...These are old and probably going to fall apart sooner than later. I'll rebuild it next spring when I'm hopefully low on wood and needing to restock.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Wife wanted new beds for the kids. Si she finds one's sy IKEA for 40 each. Okay, let's do this. Closest store with them in stock is bolingbrook. No biggie. Go there find them, and store has them listed for 70 each. Wtf. Look at it, bed does not come with anything to put the mattress on. And she priced our jr mattress not twin. I still say no biggie. We do not get the $30 support slats. Instead I went to menards and got plywood sheets to cut to size and these fuckers are STURDY now.

Who says minivans suck. Sorry for blurry pick.
Snapchat-119183888.jpeg

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Wife wanted new beds for the kids. Si she finds one's sy IKEA for 40 each. Okay, let's do this. Closest store with them in stock is bolingbrook. No biggie. Go there find them, and store has them listed for 70 each. Wtf. Look at it, bed does not come with anything to put the mattress on. And she priced our jr mattress not twin. I still say no biggie. We do not get the $30 support slats. Instead I went to menards and got plywood sheets to cut to size and these fuckers are STURDY now.

Who says minivans suck. Sorry for blurry pick.
View attachment 40965

My wife and I bought our eldest daughter a bed and mattress. The frame set didn't come with supports. I did the same thing and used plywood. I rough house with my daughter and that bed doesn't budge. Lol.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Got everything in this weekend. Dad stapled while I cut and fit everything. :rofl: So glad to have that nasty ass carpet out. The matting was drenched in dried piss thanks to Duke as a puppy. Luckily all the decking was in great condition.

Before I ripped all the nailboard out and got the trim off. The second photo of the room shows the stupid blue "sky" wall and the other light purple wall that the rest of the room was.

ckUrzOq.jpg

IGybNBD.jpg

Went with "Misty Meadow" super light green for the nursery (still sounds weird to call it that). Second or third coat on that dark wall finally hid the blue. All the other walls only took one coat but decided to do two just for smoothness.

FJLlc7T.jpg

svembCw.jpg

Still need to repaint the hallway before buying new trim. Took the morning of Friday and morning of Sunday to get it done. I'll get better pictures of it completed but I think it looks monumentally better than what was there. Starting to think the POs smoked in the house as everything old/never been replaced was/is covered in a nasty film.

V6xs3Xj.jpg

o1uKl4z.jpg

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
This is not your average DIY project but I recently bought the exact same guitar as the first one I learned on back in 1991 just for he nostalgia but it didn’t have a tremolo arm/whammy bar. After looking into it I found it had a different pitch thread than the standard Fender ones so I fired up the welder and made my own out of a bolt and some steel. It’s shorter than a standard one and not bent he same but it will work. I’m leaving it bare steel too because fuck it. I paid $100 shipped for this guitar anyhow. Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Gutted our Kitchen/Dining Room/ Family room to create an open Kitchen area. Doing most of the work myself other than the Gas line, and the wood flooring. Moving the Kitchen to the Dining room

What we started with.

Living Room
IShrszx4za0q4j1000000000.jpg

Kitchen
ISpdbbvo1i6c5j1000000000.jpg
IS5qfzv1aym65j1000000000.jpg

Dining Room
ISdwhbe8e6v35j1000000000.jpg

Demoed the Dining Room

20160524_113358.jpg

Removed the old window facing the back of my neighbors house.
20190716_174346.jpg

Built a new entrance way closet.
20190728_144429.jpg

Demoed the Kitchen
20190729_093021.jpg
20190731_222127.jpg

Plumbing, Electrical, Gas Lines and Framing complete and Inspected. You can see the new Window that was put in facing our backyard. We ended up putting in 12 pot lights, 3 closet lights, 3 Pendant lights, some networking stuff for a Ubiquiti AP for this level. All in all I had a lot of time spent in the attic and crawl space to get it to this point. Getting itchy from the insulation just talking about it. There were basically 1 ceiling light in each room before so it will be a nice difference.
20190905_191621.jpg

Cat has really enjoyed having high places to watch me work from.
20190914_120542.jpg

Put in Outlets and Smurftube(blue tube) for HDMI connections for the TV in the living room. Just going with a simple 65 inch tv with a sound bar as our family room has the full surround sound system. This is the backside of it in the Closet that I built. Going to feed it with Ethernet/RG6 cables. Also added blocking to make mounting the tv mount easier.
20190914_204943.jpg

Drywall is 95 percent hung. Starting mudding today.

20190925_081538.jpg

Moved the HVAC closet back to be even with the new Pantry closet on the left that I framed out. 10-12 foot Dining/Family table will be in front of this space.
20190925_081637.jpg

Wood floors in the new family room area. Hoping to have those installed soon after I finish the drywall.
20190925_081416.jpg

Cabinets are being delivered in 2 weeks. Wife is due October 19th so will miss that deadline as we will still need the counters to be installed. Been working on this slowly since about July. Wife wanted it done before the baby was here but missed that deadline trying to find cabinets that weren't stupid expensive. Hoping once this is done I can get back to getting my cars street worthy this winter.

ISxjdndv5qe95j1000000000.jpg

20190801_101439.jpg

Last edited:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
on saturday i planned to build some shelves in my shed and "fix" part of the saggy floor...

welp. saggy floor wound up being the bottom wall plates being rotted away, and not the joists like i imagined... so to "fix it" the shed would have to have the whole floor removed after being lifted up, and then replace the baseboards, joists, plywood, and potentially some studs.... i think to have it happen, id cut out the rest of the floor after adding temporary reinforcements to the inner structure of the whole thing... then try to jack it up to get new boards under it.

it's a gambrel roof shed, with only 4' tall walls. 8*12. under 100 sq ft doesn't require a permit where im at.
the 4' walls REALLY cramps my storage situation... somehow i had 9 tire/wheel combos, and 4 loose wheels in it, along with 4 bicyclces, and all of my yard work shit (except my little zero turn)

my pickle is, do i attempt to repair what i have now? or do i rebuild it with 8' walls and a gable roof? i would gain a LOT of volume going to the gable roof, taller setup... my buddy who is in construction and did most of my house's renovations isn't too busy right now and has implied it'd go pretty quick and easy...

Eventually i wanted to build a larger shed in a different location in my backyard- for my sxs and my lawn mower to fit in, while retaining current shed... and this would set that back a little bit.

im really torn, the rest of the shed is in alright shape, it could use a new roof, last years hail storm raped it and i didnt get approved for repairs somehow....

your guys thoughts?

Thread Info